(Ch 4) How Paid For College

Chapter 4

Lunch was served at precisely twelve o’clock. Charley exited the living room along with all the other guests as they made their way through the double terrace doors. The backyard of the Rhodes’ home was spacious and well kept.

To one side there was a kidney shaped pool, that Charley remembered enjoying a cool dip in only last summer, with pool chairs to one side, and a round garden table and chairs with an umbrella in the centre. They had a built in face brick barbeque that also had Charley recalling her first visit to the Rhodes household, where Mr Rhodes had grilled his famous lobster with his secret family recipe. Mrs Rhodes had whispered to her that it wasn’t that secret, but just an accidental mixture his grandfather had come across on their family barbeque.

She smiled as she remembered being so nervous wanting to impress her new friend’s parents and older brother. All-in-all it had been a great evening, one that would see Charley becoming one of the family.

The other section of the backyard housed the garden, Mrs Rhodes pride and joy. There were flowers of all variety that scented this heavenly place. Mrs Rhodes took much pride in her flowers and could be found tending her babies – as she called them – all spring and summer long. Charley had been in awe the first time she’d seen the blossoms in full bloom. Even now, with the mid-Spring sun shining upon its tender buds, she could see slowly but surely they would be greeted soon by its floral scent.

Charley’s eyebrows rose slightly when she saw the elaborate setting of the lunch party. Of course she hadn’t expected anything less from Mrs Rhodes, but considering the woman had only pulled off one of the biggest fundraiser’s of the year only days before, she wondered how the woman had found the time to plan this party as well.

A special platform had been placed on the grass, while a marquee of a white material had been setup as a cover. It was a light material still enabling the sun to allow its warmth through. Round tables that seated about eight people were placed about the area, with black linens.

As Charley passed the tables, she could see the centre pieces were a mix of white roses, with gold trimmings. The dinnerware chosen – of course matching the colour scheme – was white with a beautiful gold pattern along the edges, while gold napkins were placed perfectly centre on each plate.

Charley felt as if she’d walked into the Imperial Ballroom at the BostonPlaza all over again. Well, she thought, this is exactly how the rich throw a party. She loved the Rhodes family without a doubt, but she knew if it hadn’t been for her connection with Rachael, she would never have been invited to anything remotely close to this.

Carefully she made her way to her seat. Without a doubt Mrs Rhodes had a place setting for everyone. It surprised her though to see just how close she was seated to the head table. Taking the white card in her hands, she rechecked the name.

Yup, it was her name alright, beautifully printed in gold calligraphy. She was about to take her seat when a female voice called out her name in greeting. Turning, she smiled, but almost choked when she saw who it was.

“Hey Charley,”

“Kayla right, it’s nice to see you again.” she greeted the young Thorp with the flowing dusty golden locks, hoping that her older brother wasn’t close by.

“Yeah, you remembered.” She sounded stunned, confusing Charley. Well, she certainly wasn’t forgettable. Not only did she have beautiful features, but her striking long hair was really an eye catcher.

“Why wouldn’t I?” Charley questioned.

She shrugged. “No reason.” Charley wanted to question her further, but Kayla’s bubbly chat sparked up again. “Oh great, you’re seated here too.”