(Ch 8) How I Paid for College

Chapter 8

It was a beautiful day, Charley thought as she inhaled the fresh air around her. The smell of summer hung in the air; the promise of sunshine, laughter and only great things to come. It was a Saturday afternoon and the area around the aquarium was abuzz with people.

Charley knew it was going to be long day and wished she could spend the day in quiet solace with a good book, but looking down at the eager face of her little brother had her enthusiasm for the day ahead coming to life. She’d promised Jamie she would bring him to the aquarium today after he mentioned their teacher giving them a lesson on the living creatures of the sea.

He’d been excitedly recalling all he’d learnt when she mentioned that some of the sea creatures he was so fondly talking about were at the aquarium. At the mention of this, Jamie’s face light up and so began his sweet talking.

Charley had to admit he was real good at convincing people that something was to his benefit – especially if it’s something he wanted. It hadn’t taken long for her to give in, though she had to wonder if it was really his ability to sweet talk people or her weakness to resist giving him all he wants.

“So you excited about today?” she couldn’t resist to ask though she already knew the answer.

He grinned up at her. “Mm-hmm… I can’t wait to see the sharks. I wonder if we’ll get to see their teeth.”

She laughed. “Maybe if you ask the shark nicely he’ll give you a toothy smile.”

He sent her a look that said he didn’t appreciate her teasing. “It’s not funny, Charley.”

She held back her laughter. “I know, I’m sorry. Look,” she pointed to an entertainer where a small crowd was gathered.

“Can I go watch, please? Just for a bit.” He looked up at her innocently, his big grey eyes – ones must like their mom’s – pleaded with her.

Unable to resist, she agreed. “Okay, but only for a bit. We still have to get in line for our tickets.”

He beamed. “Okay, thanks. I won’t be long.” And with that he dashed off.

Charley kept a watchful eye on him. Jamie was responsible. He never ran off when he wasn’t supposed to, he always asked Silva’s permission first before going over to a friend’s house. He was a sweet kid, far sweeter than she’d expected him to be.

A smile spread across her face as she watched him bob up and down; cheering at the tricks the entertainer was performing. She was glad to see him enjoying himself already and couldn’t help but wonder how he would be once they were actually inside.

Glancing at her watch she knew she should get him. Knowing Jamie, he’d want to see everything before the day was over and if that was the case, they’d better get going.

“Hey gorgeous. Fancy seeing you here.” A voice whispered into her ear, stopping Charley in her tracks.

Charley jumped and whirled on the person behind her, her heart in her throat. It wasn’t so much the surprise she’d gotten that had her heart racing, but the owner of the voice who unsettled her with his closeness.

“Don’t do that,” she chastised Tate, slapping his arm.

All he did was smile at her lazily, that dimple of his winking at her, as he rubbed at the spot she’d hit him.

“I didn’t expect to see you today, but now that I have my day seems so much brighter.” She said nothing about his flirtatiousness. “What are you doing here?”