Chapter 2

... I walk in the front door. 

"Where's James?" Mum asks.

"He had to go, mum, I'm worried," I say nervously.

"Why dear?" She asks whipping her hands on a tea towel and putting it back down on the kitchen island.

"I was looking through Instagram while James and I were at Starbucks and I found a photo of James walking through the street wearing full black from last night, what if he was the one that broke into our house last night?" I say sitting down at a stool. 

"Darling, but I don't think James would do that, he's too nice of a person!" Mum says shocked.

"But mum, why would have he been active at that time of night when I messaged him, he lives ten minutes away and he got here in four minutes, he didn't drive because his car wasn't here this morning, mum it only makes sense!" I say throwing my arms into the air. 

"Darling, it does make sense, but I still don't see why he would do that, I don't think it was him," She says frustrated.

I roll my eyes and stand up.

"Darling, don't you love him?" She calls after me.

"Yes I love him! Of course I love him! He means the world to me but it only makes sense!" I cry and walk briskly up the stairs. 

I hear mum sigh and continue working in the kitchen. I go up to my bedroom and sit down. I feel like crying, but I don't. I walk over to my window and climb out onto the roof. I sit down and sigh. The tin beneath me warms my cold body. I pull out my phone to see four messages from James.

James: Hey, I'm really sorry about before

James: I love you, I always will

James: Katherine?

James: Please Katherine, I'm really sorry. Xx

I leave him on seen, if he's going to lie to me, I won't talk to him. I slide my phone into my pocket and climb back through my window. I sit down on the day bed underneath my window and put my elbows on the window sill. I look out to the busy streets below me and the beach in the distance. I sigh and brush a stray strand of hair off my face. I check my phone again. Nothing. I stare back out the window again and watch a seagull flies past my window. I sigh again and again. I hear my bedroom door open and spin my head to see who it is. Mum walks through the door and sits down next to me.

"Darling, I'm sorry about going off at you like that, I understand your concern and worry, I am slightly concerned that it was James that broke into our house last night, and I guess all we can do is hope that it wasn't him," She says.

"Mum, I really worried that he's lying to me, we promised each other that we would never lie to each other, but I think he is lying to me," I answer.

"Can you please show me the photo you saw of him on Instagram and tell me what he was saying when you were talking to him this morning?" She asks.

I pick up my phone and find the photo of James. I turn my phone around to show her. 

"Wow, I don't think you realised but you can see the street names in the background, see," she says pointing to the background of the photo, "that's our street."

"I... I didn't realise," I state.

Mum sighs and puts her left hand on my knee. 

"Darling, what did he say when you were at Starbucks with him this morning?" 

"I found the photo and asked him why he was out walking so late at night and he said that he was just going for a walk, I asked him why so late and he raised his voice and said why not, then he left, and he texted me earlier saying that he was really sorry but I didn't reply," I exclaim.