Chapter 8: Even If We Could

Catra stood in front of the grave for a long time. Hours passed until it was dark, though she hardly noticed. Hands at her sides, one clutched the unopened letter Glimmer gave her, the other stayed balled into a fist, nails digging into her palm.

The gray marble shined in the starlight, reflecting the heavens above. Entrapta has specially made it so the engravings would light up a cool blue in the darkness.

Adora. Savior of Etheria.

The dirt was still fresh.

Looking down at the letter, Catra couldn't open it. Her hands gripped the paper but did nothing more. With a shaky breath, Catra looked out into the forest which laid just beyond the gravesite.

"This isn't funny," Catra said softly. Upon the lack of response, she shouted, "You hear me? This isn't funny anymore, alright?"

Catra shook her head in frustration. "I know you want to get back at me but...but this is a messed up way to do it!" Staring into the black abyss of the trees, she almost expected an answer.

"Getting everyone in Brightmoon in on this was one thing," Catra continued to shout. "I almost bought it. But the games over, ok? Just, just come out already."

Nothing.

Catra screamed even though her throat was raw. "I'm serious Adora! If you don't I'll...I'll..." Catra's eyes landed on the letter crumpled in her hands. "I'll read your stupid thing!" Her voice cracked and her whole body shook. "I'll read it and then there's no going back. So you, you better do something or...or..."

Silence.

Catra's shoulders drooped. The forest was just...silent.

"F-Fine then," Catra ripped open the letter. "It's probably stupid anyways."

The paper was folded in three. A note attached to the top read: I will never send this. But it feels good to write it down.

Swallowing, Catra unfolded the paper to see Adora's neat handwriting filling the page.

Dear Catra,
You are my enemy now, and you always will be. I know that now.

Catra couldn't help but see the irony. If only Adora could see her now, staying in Brightmoon, fighting with the rebellion instead of against them. She'd never hear the end of it.

All this time, I had hope. Hope that you would see the light. Hope that you would realize that Etheria is a beautiful place that needs to be saved, and not destroyed.

It's not that Catra had made a total change of heart. She still didn't know why the rebellion insisted on fighting wars they couldn't win, and Catra was pretty certain she'd die helping them. It probably wasn't close enough to what Adora had in mind. But if Adora really had sacrificed everything for this useless planet, it had to mean something, right?

I have no more hope now, and that makes me sad. So sad.

She wished she hadn't opened the letter. It's not like Catra didn't know Adora hated her. It's not like Catra didn't know she'd screwed up and had lost the only person in her life who cared.

Because I miss you, Catra, and I will always miss you.

It's not like Catra didn't miss Adora too.