Hello Maze (Part 2)

Author's note

*Me looking at 600+ reads*

Here you go! Another flashback. Enjoy!

...

Mazikeen lunged, blades flashing with deadly speed. Gabriel hacked away, deflecting the metal. 

Another dagger of equal length appeared in his other hand, and he made a defensive X with the blades.

Mazikeen stepped back to admire the weapons. 

"I haven't seen those since..."

"The First War." Gabriel finished for her.

"The what war?" Linda asked. She hadn't moved from her chair.

Gabriel cautiously lowered his swords and explained. 

"The First War was the war between Heaven and Hell; Angels and Demons. We were constantly at each other's throats."

"We fought against each other." Mazikeen stated proudly, indicating towards Gabe.

Linda stared between the two. "So you two know each other."

"Linda, when angels "die," they return to Heaven to recuperate." Gabe explained.

"To lick their wounds," Maze sneered.

"But when demons die, they just die. No regenerating, no coming back."

"And since Maze is still here..." Linda started.

"Then I killed him." Maze said.

"Multiple times." Gabe sighed.

"But you still came back," Maze twirled her daggers. 

"You always loved a good chase..."

...

Gabriel flapped his wings, soaring high above the air. Below him, rocky cliffs and canyon littered the ground--a perfect hiding spot for someone hiding from eyes above.

He was certain she was here. His tracking skills were impeccable, and as a messenger, it was crucial to know where your target was located.

He landed on a cliff's edge, peering down at the rocks below.

From there, he could smell the makings of a campfire; the demoness was likely preparing to feast.

He strapped his spear to his back and tucked in his wings. He wanted to be stealthy when he snuck up on her.

As a respected commander of Hell, Mazikeen's death would prove a solid victory for Heaven. Nevertheless, he had to be quick.

He began his descent on foot down the rocky wall of the canyon. Once his feet touched ground, he let himself drop quietly and regained his footing. 

The smell of smoke was stronger here. He was close.

He unstrapped the spear from his back and carefully approached the camp. The demon had chosen her hiding spot well: a small cavern tucked under the peaking cliffside above. Any careless patrol would have missed it, if they hadn't known whom they were looking for.

He paused near the entrance. This was it.

Readying himself, he raised his spear and charged into the cavern. He spotted the campfire, alit and roaring with beautiful red flames which casted an eerie glow on the cave walls. But Maze herself was nowhere to be seen.