-4- The Suicidal Freak's Wall [boyxboy]

Chapter 4

I parked in a staff parking space and turned around in my seat to check up on Kadence. The young boy had fallen asleep, his head titled at a 90 degree angle to his right.

So cute.

I got out of the car and opened the door, prodding Kadence softly. He stirred a bit but didn’t wake.

“Kadence, wake up,” I whispered. He didn’t respond, just murmured something close to “Five minutes more, Mommy.”

I sighed and unbuckled his seat belt, then carried him out of the car, kicking the car door closed with my foot. Pressing the Lock button on my remote control, I then took Kadence into the bookstore.

“Hey Chase!” I called.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“He’s fallen asleep,” I said, pointing to the boy.

“Aw, he’s so cute,” Chase gushed and poked Kadence in the side. He jolted out of his half conscious sleep.

“Gya!” he shrieked when he saw me looking down at him. “Let me down!”

I chuckled, as he was finally acting like a normal human. Before, he was being too quiet.

“Kay,” I replied, and set down on his feet. He blushed and hid his face with his hair, going back to his silent demeanor.

“When does his shift end?” I asked.

“Around 2:00 p.m.,” Chase responded, looking at the clock to make sure.

“Okay,” I said, “Kadence, I’ll come pick you up around 2, don’t go anywhere.”

He muttered an okay and went to shelving the books.

“He’s cute, isn’t he?” Chase nudged me on the arm.

“Yeah,” I grinned, watching Kadence move his skinny arms up and down, putting the books into the correct spots.

“Do you like him?” the manager teased, laughing softly.

“Very much, I do,” I admitted, brushing my fingers against my nose.

“What? Really? Why?” Chase seemed doubly surprised. I shrugged.

I wanted to get past that barrier he built. Because no matter what reinforcing he put into it, one day, it would break. Anything that was constantly being pried and pushed and chipped would eventually fall apart.

“Well, I’ll be working on my mangas in my apartment if you need me,” I laughed, smiling.

Chase sputtered out a “How is that an apartment!? More like a mansion!”

“Goodbye,” I called and drove back home.

Kadence pov

“Archer’s very interested in you, isn’t he?” Chase asked as he passed by the aisle I was working in. I shrugged and hid my blush in my sweatshirt.

“Y-yeah,” I mumbled, preventing my gaze from landing on Chase’s eyes. He would tease me for sure if he saw my bright red face.

“He just cares about you, don’t worry. He finds it terrible that a seventeen year old teenager should be working instead of studying in education. It’s weird, though. He never showed concern since…..” Chase trailed off and shook his head, meaning that he shouldn’t say any more than that. Unfortunately, this got me more curious.

“What?” I asked, my blush completely gone, as the heat had left my face.

“Nothing, since nothing, I mean,” my manager said, stumbling as his words as he did so.