An Interesting Meeting

How dare they!

I was glad to see that Lyric had managed to dodge the dart, though I was pretty sure it wasn't an intentional action but more of a panicked motion that happened save him from being knocked out. Either way, I snatched the rifle away from the woman and then flipped it before shoving it against her chest until she was flush against the wall behind her.

"Excuse me, but what do you think you're doing with my project?"

She actually looked a little scared but tried her best to keep a sneer on her face.

"We have permission to dart it if needed," she growled out. I rolled my eyes and looked over at Lyric cowering in the back corner, then back to glare at her.

"Does he look like he's going to kill you right now? Because quite honestly, I'd let him."

The woman blanched, but by then her two colleagues were closing in on me so I lowered the gun and held out my left hand.

"Give me your paperwork," I said, being sure to emphasize the last word. The brown-haired man, which seemed close to thirty or so, handed me several pieces of paper. I leaned the gun against the door and stood in front of it, blocking any of them from being able to get the stupid thing. Flipping through the papers, I smirked and threw them back at him. He luckily caught the pile, but I didn't really care, I was too busy taking out the other dart from their gun and throwing it in the garbage.

"You don't have my signature on any of those, and as the head medical doctor in this facility—for whom there is a specific signature space on those papers, which is currently blank—you are not allowed to experiment on any of our subjects. Let alone dart them unnecessarily."

I knew I was being nasty to them, but there were rules and they had blatantly disregarded them when they walked in here and shot at Lyric. Especially since they knew my signature was needed for the paperwork.

"Alright, we messed up. Can you please sign the papers so we can anesthetize him and take more samples? We need more than what you got."

I glared at him and the papers he was holding out.

Starting to not like these Cal-Waves guys. Not that I really liked them in the first place. They always seem too secretive.

"What other samples do you need?" I ground out as I carefully retrieved my gun from the floor and tucked it back in the waistband of my pants. The brown-haired guy fidgeted so the girl took over again, stepping in front of both men.

"We just like to have our subject unconscious to prevent injury and time loss. Why are you so against it after he took your leg, anyways?"

That had me bristling and looking over at Lyric, my anger at him causing, or at least partially causing, my attitude to go south. I wanted to hate him and I really think I still did, but he just wasn't being aggressive enough to make me be mean to him. He hadn't even gotten mad when I called his cherished name stupid.

Giving a tired sigh, I grabbed the papers back from the brown-haired man, who I now noticed was wearing a badge.

Mark.

I flipped through the sheets and found the one I wanted, then set it on the table, the stack beside it, and signed the one sheet.

"There."

Mark grabbed it to read over while I looked at the other two people's name tags.

Marilyn and Conner.

My attention turned back to Mark when I felt him gawking at me.

"What?" I asked, obviously not bothering with niceties.