Beware the Little Fish in the Pond

-Parker-

I wish I were surprised that Kipper was attacking me, but I wasn't. He tried to knock my legs out from under me, but I hopped up just in time to dodge. When I came back down, though, the water was already heading toward my waist, making the maneuver I'd just done likely unable to occur again.

Darn it. I can't hurt you. Callem would be heartbroken.

That didn't leave many options. I could let him kill me. That wasn't exactly a positive, though, and would also make Callem pretty upset. My mind went over a few other ideas, none of them any better than the first two, until...

"I've got it. Or I've got a concussion to think it's a good idea. But either way! Let's see if the statement 'kill them with kindness' can actually work... and perhaps not exactly be fatal."

Kipper was already heading back toward me so I forced myself to act or be bitten. Gulping a huge breath, I held it and dove just as he got close. I saw his eyes widen in surprise, his tail halting its movement and slowing his propulsion forward. It was just enough of a change for me to grab him beneath his arms in a tight hug and haul him to the surface.

As soon as my head broke free of the water, I blew out my breath, then took in several more as I stared down at a fuming Kipper. He was flailing in my arms, his muscular tail, while small, easily moved us and at several points slammed my back into the walls of the room. I didn't let go, though, not even after he bit my chin and neck several times.

"Darn it, Kipper. Please stop. These people aren't who you should be helping. They're evil."

Kipper scoffed and bared his teeth.

"Hice evil."

Could. Not. Argue. That.

"Yes. But they are too. Don't you see? I didn't do anything to them, yet they are asking you to kill me."

His eyes narrowed and he hissed as his gills flared.

God, he looks so much like Callem it's ridiculous.

When he just tried to bite me again, I sighed and glanced around the room, noticing the excess water was beginning to drain at a height nearly level with my shoulders.

Ah, no wonder she said I likely wouldn't drown in here. It must be a cell to frighten people or maybe hold marine life that needs to breathe air.

Right as I finished thinking that the water flow stopped, leaving me stuck standing unless I wanted to hold my breath.

"Hey, Kipper? Can I make you a deal?"

The boy's head tilted, gills settling partially closed. It seemed I'd caught his interest, so I quickly spat out what I wanted to say before I lost it.

"What if I could promise you food for your entire life, and shelter if you wanted to stay on land? I'll even keep your dad away from you as much as I can. You wouldn't have to work for any of it, either. No tests or activities. You can eat whenever you're hungry, until you're full."

He didn't seem to believe me, but he wasn't attacking anymore, just floating there in my arms. I was glad that the devil woman had left us alone instead of spurring him on until I was dead.

"I get food... and not have to do tests? Not work?"

I was just opening my mouth to reply with a 'yes' when he added. "And you keep annoying man away from me?"

That got a chuckle from me, then a nod.

"Yeah. I can do my best with that. He does love you, though that seems odd for your species. I'll try to talk with him about it and maybe calm him down so he doesn't crowd you."