Taken

I was torturing myself. That's what I was doing at the beach the next morning. I had barely slept and had thrown up everything I'd had that day... which hadn't been much. It was around eight in the morning, so most people who visited for vacation weren't out of bed yet. That meant there were only locals around, and after the mer attack on me, there weren't many people in the water. Bright red warning signs were very noticeable in and out of the water, telling people to 'swim at their own risk'.

My eyes roved over the people lazing about beneath the sun before looking down at the sand right in front of my shoes. The sight of my prosthetic metal leg fastened into my shoe made my stomach turn. The doctors had kept telling me that I should've paid the small extra amount to get a foot look-alike, especially since my work insurance easily covered it. I just couldn't do it, though, because that wouldn't be my foot.

Licking my lips, I hesitantly lifted my good foot and set it atop the sand. The second I felt my weight shift in the granules, my heart lurched.

This is my sand. My life.

I had intended to walk away from this, knowing that I would never be able to go near this beach again with 'them' waiting for me.

"...but I can't walk away from what I love."

Nodding to myself, I kept my focus on the sand as I took a deep breath and forced my fake leg to lift, stepping forward. The moment it touched the shifting ground, I lost my balance and stumbled backward with a shout of surprise, only to feel my back collide with a firm, muscled chest. Not a second later, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist.

Since I had figured I was going to be in for some serious pain falling backward onto the hot parking lot, I was grateful for the catch. That is, until the person who'd caught me began running his nose along my shoulder toward my neck, sniffing audibly along the way. My body froze as my thoughts began to go places I prayed they never would again. Unfortunately, when a second person, one I recognized all-too-well from my nightmares stepped in front of me, my chest constricted and I began to have a panic attack. He had the same faded skin around his right eye that the bigger one had had around his left. They were just like wild orca eye patches but only over one side of their face.

"He's going to pass out," a deep, husky voice growled from somewhere near my left ear.

"His leg..." the person in front of me grumbled as I faintly noticed the young mer crouch down. I wanted to struggle or at least get my eyes to stay open as they tried to close to stop everything from spinning, but I knew I was having a panic attack and would pass out if I didn't calm myself down. After being in the hospital for so long, I had developed them during my nightmares. But I'm not asleep this time, dammit! They weren't supposed to be here! Add in the fact that they were both walking just fine and talking!

Yup, I'm definitely about to pass out.

"He's breathing too fast; it's making his body shake," the voice near my ear noted, though he didn't seem all that interested in actually trying to help since he was biting at my ear rather painfully. There was quiet for a moment before he spoke again, and since it was just him, the other mer, and I, I had a feeling he was talking to the other male.

"I know you wanted him and I told you I'd at least get you his leg, love, but I do not know where it went."

I felt him release my likely-bleeding ear and lean closer, his smooth, wet cheek rubbing against my own as he growled.

"Mmm. Human? Where is it?"

I groaned, biting my lower lip as my head lolled against his shoulder. My strength always left me when I had an attack, which was the only positive of being held by one of them right then. The sudden awkward sound of teeth gnawing on metal made me inwardly chuckle to myself.