Chapter 15

Days always seemed to pass quickly, even though they were technically much longer. Days and nights were both stretched out, considering we were going faster than the rest of the world. But they didn't seem very long, surprisingly. Factory day came all too quickly. Anika was already up and preparing herself. I couldn't help but feel a stab of guilt that I wasn't going with her.

She let me sleep in, only waking me up to notify me when she was about to leave. "You remember everything I taught you?" she asked. I nodded. I remembered. She taught me how to weave a fish trap, and create a makeshift fishing rod. She also got me a stick she sharpened, in case I wanted to hunt like she usually did. I didn't plan on stabbing fish, but I let her teach me anyway. She seemed less worried knowing that I would be able to hunt for us while she was gone.

"I'll be back tomorrow morning," Anika told me, gazing into my eyes. "Okay?"

I smiled. "Okay. And Anika- you don't need to worry so much. I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about. You're sure you don't want me to come with?"

"I'm sure," Anika told me firmly. "I want you to save your energy. Factory work is pointless- your time is better spent on getting us food."

"Okay," I agreed. Anika nodded, smiling. She stood confidently, her long braid hanging over her shoulder. She looked strong, ready for anything. Anybody else would have believed it. But I didn't. I could see past the smile, her hands on her hips, her chin raised high. It was all just an act- to convince me or herself, I wasn't sure. It was the eyes that gave it away. Those sad, sad eyes. There was a fear behind those eyes, behind that smile. The slightest tremble of her hands.

Of course she was strong. I wouldn't think any less of her if she admitted she was afraid. But I knew Anika well enough to know that she was too stubborn to say it out loud. She thought she was past fear. She refused to admit she could ever be scared. She had endured this a million times already. But there were new horrors every time, I was sure. Not even the toughest person in the world could survive that every day, and never be scared.

"Good luck," I told her gently.

"Thanks," Anika said. She paused for a moment. Then she turned around, and stepped into the cage. She locked it behind her, smiling reassuringly at me. Like I was the one who needed reassuring. Even when she was terrified, she still thought about other people. I wished I could have been like her. Not the coward I was. Staying behind while she took a bullet for me.

"I'm sorry you have to go alone," I apologized.

"Don't worry about it, Rae," Anika said. She shook her head, chuckling. "I told you, I'm used to going alone, anyway. I'll be fine, okay? Trust me. I know what I'm doing."

"I know," I said. "I know." And before I could say another word, I saw the great machine gliding towards us. My heart leaped inside my chest, beating furiously.

"Hide!" Anika shouted, waving me away. I nodded solemnly. I didn't even glance over my shoulder, darting into the forest without another word. I heard the machine reach down and pick up Anika, the sound of metal clanging against metal. I found a tree to hide behind, its trunk large enough to hide me. I peered out from behind it, watching as the crane left with Anika in its grasp. I sighed, relieved. But immediately, I felt a stab of guilt. I tried not to think about how much she would be suffering there.

When the clicking and clattering of the machine faded away, I stood from my crouching position. It was quiet, now. More silent than I would have liked. Anika was always talking. I reminded myself she was only gone for a day. That was it. Tomorrow morning, everything would be back to normal. Until the next Factory day, of course. But I didn't want to think about that at the moment. I told myself I should be focused on getting us food. I didn't want to disappoint her when she came back. She was counting on me to hunt. I headed through the forest, making my way towards the familiar sound of rushing water. I figured I would set out the trap for the fish, first. That would give me time to do other things. Like trying to escape.