Chapter 1

After saying our goodbyes and hugging our parents, Laila and I had set off to the school. I couldn't believe my dream was finally coming true. I had always wanted to go to the Teyuk School, but I never really thought I would be chosen. I knew Laila would be, of course, but me? Why would I ever be chosen? I had never excelled in anything. The only thing I was even decent at was flying, and that wasn't talent. It was just the way my wings were built.

When I walked through the iron gates, my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The entrance to the school was a small garden, with a giant fountain directly in the middle of it. It spewed glittering water, the sun beaming down on it. Surrounding the fountain were beds of all different kinds of flowers, and the aroma that filled the air was simply magnificent. It smelled of honey and flowers, and every wonderful smell I could have ever imagined.

"It's gorgeous," I whispered in awe.

"It's just as I thought it would be," Laila said. She turned to me, her smile bright and shining like the sun itself. "I'm so glad we can be here together. How lucky are we?"

"For me, incredibly lucky," I said. "For you, it wasn't luck at all. We all knew you would be chosen, Laila."

"I didn't know if I would be," Laila admitted. "But Raven, you deserve to be here. You have to be able to fly to jump, anyway, and I'm not surprised. Remember that time when you almost jumped all by yourself? No training or anything! You'll be a natural at this."

I blushed. "No, I won't. That was an accident, and I didn't actually jump. You're the one who's going to be a natural."

"Raven-" Laila began, but I didn't get to hear what she was going to say. We were interrupted by a booming voice, seemingly coming from the sky.

"Everybody, quiet down, please!" I looked up to see where the voice was coming from. The voice belonged to the woman who was flying above us. She was a small woman with small blue wings, but everything else about her was anything but tiny. Her posture radiated confidence and she flew with purpose, her face focused and intent. She wore her hair in a tight bun. Everybody fell silent.

"Is that the Headmistress?" I asked quietly. Laila nodded. I didn't know what I had been expecting. Somebody a little bit... bigger, maybe? But her stature did not at all impact her fierceness. It seemed as if I could have melted under her glare, and I felt myself shrink back. But as everybody quieted down, her gaze softened.

"Welcome one and all to the Teyuk School! We are glad to welcome all of you here on this momentous occasion, and I congratulate all of you for being chosen to attend," the Headmistress said. Cheers rose up, and she waited for them to die down before speaking again. "It is an honor to be here with you today. For those of you who are new to this establishment, I am Headmistress Ginnye. I will be helping all of you to find your uniforms and your dorms."

"Uniforms?" I asked.

"You can't wear just anything for time traveling," Laila whispered. "Regular clothes would burn up. As would your skin." I shuddered at the unpleasant thought. I didn't like the idea of uniforms, but I liked the idea of catching fire even less.

"If this is your first year, please follow me," Headmistress Ginnye requested.

Laila and I followed Headmistress Ginnye inside of the school. More people followed behind us. When we stepped inside, my breath was taken away. The inside of the school was even better than the outside. Almost every corner of the room was lined in gold or silver, and every curtain was made of the most expensive silk. A large chandelier hung above us, shimmering from the light of the sun that shone down on it. But I didn't have much time to take it all in before we were already moving down a long hallway.