Chapter Four

I dreamt of the sleep suckles and Levi being practically resurrected by that fountain of health and immortality. I decided that is what it would be called. The Fountain of Youth seemed a little over kill so the fountain of immortality would have to do. I only woke up though when dream Levi began to claw my eyes out.

I stretched my arms in front of me and let my eyes fall to Cal, sleeping soundly with his head pressed into an iron bar. I was at some point hoping this was just a dream. If only everything was just a dream. But I remembered waking up and being abducted from the institute, so unlucky me.

The dress Levi put me in was crinkled under me and had tiny pulls in the blue fabric. I just then noticed how hideous blue looked on me. I pulled the metal bobby pins from my hair and let it fall.

For a moment, I didn't remember where I was, but that red head reminded me real fast. I have entered hell. Sighing, I stood up relieving a pull in my back from Cal’s weight leaning on me and went to the bars again. "What time is it?"

She looked at her bare wrist and scrunched her nose looking harder. Oh boy, of course, I leave the institute but I still end up with lunatics.

"No time in the cellar sweet cheeks."

"Uh!" I groan and slammed the back of my head into cinder block. The only windows were in the red head’s cell and an old hag’s cell a couple units away. No light besides what was coming from the bulb that swung dangerously low from a chord in the ceiling. As the red head scooted into the light the hundreds of freckles on her neck became more visible every second that my eyes adjusted.

I twirled my hair around a finger and gently tapped Cal’s arm.

"Huh?" He said waking up stuttering, looking at me with worried eyes.

"Hey," I curled up beside him again. The walls held moisture that seeped into the cell we were in, it smelled not only of death, but of mildew. It stuck in my nose like congestion and pushed against my chest. I sucked in a breath, and looked at him, settling on staring into his eyes.

Maybe they will pierce me, stab me in the heart. Maybe I will die here. Maybe this is the last place I will take a breath.

"You ok?" he asked.

"I guess,” I groaned.

“You don’t sound very confident,” he said flatly.

“Well I’m not.”

He wrapped his arms around me and held me in a hug. “Well I’ll be here for you,” he whispered.

Smiling, I put my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek.

“I know,” I mumbled and leaned my head against his neck. His breathing was shallow and his heart slow.

I moved my head to look at him again.

He eyes were still neon blue and his hair still blond, he still looked like Cal. He was the boy from the institute; the boy who changed in a day from a reject to a prince. He’s a master of water and prisoner to himself. But he was without a doubt, still Cal.

I smirked at the thoughts that bull dozed their way through my brain. Beating down negative walls that sprung up every couple of seconds when a moan or hollow scream would echo through the stony cellar. For the first time I really felt alone. I suppose knowing you had people to care for beat off the reality of loneliness, but in the open, I was like deer in an open field during hunting season.

With every ounce of energy he had, he leaned closer and kissed my forehead. It felt like the acid. It left a hot mark against my forehead but slipped away so quickly. My heart began to pound, it rocked against my chest.