Chapter Ten

Miles. The soles of his shoes left burn marks on the blue marble as he stalked forward. It was visible that he was angry. His face was stern with a set jaw and angled down eyebrows. His black hair flew back as he walked forward putting a heavy “boom” with every step. Red and orange ran through his hair and his eyes looked like they had when I had been stuck in Fire.

Rile and Xavier ran behind him with mops, scrubbing the ashen foot prints he left. They scowled at him and disappeared in the back of the room.

His eyes flicked to mine and he narrowed his eyes. “How dare you!” He yelled at Kade. Kade smirked looking unfazed.

“You should know better Prince than trespassing on Water ground without-“

“I don’t need your bloody permission for anything!” He yelled again reaching the throne. “How dare you hold her here!”

“You are making a mistake Prince, I advise you to think before opening your mouth.”

Miles scoffed and crossed his arms. “I advise you to think before challenging me.”

Now it was time for Kade to laugh. His husky voice rung clear through the first floor of the palace. Nathaniel even came to see what was happening. When he saw the young prince he walked up to stand next to me. Miles gave him a shortened look and went back to glaring with Kade.

Nathaniel looked down at me and gave me a worried look. Both princes were dangerous, Miles just because he can control Fire, and Kade for everything he has done so far.

“I don’t know what delusion you are in, but anybody who comes in here and advises me in anything is one bold sucker.”

“I guess I am.”

I chomped down on my bottom lip and picked at my nails. I couldn’t do anything, not with this chain. I scooted into the shadow of the throne and watched as Miles and Kade argued over trespassing. They got back on topic with me. Oh God. I could see it coming and I gave Kade’s ankle a little pinch. Miles’ hands glowed and an aurora of red dust began to float around his hands. His eyes began to flash until most of the whites in his eyes were shielded by red veins.

Kade held out his hands and a deluge of water washed over the prince. Miles dropped his hands and stood looking down as his hair dripped and his mouth gaped. “Cool down fire boy,” Kade smirked and then straightened his blazer.

I wasn’t expecting that, maybe just a kind reminder but I should have been smarter, Kade doesn’t do kind.

Miles looked up with his hair plastering to his reddened face. I just seemed to notice the candles the boys had lit. The flames flapped with the gentle breeze coming through an open window. Out of the corner of his eye Miles found the flame, or sensed it.

“Try that again and we’ll just have to see what will happen.”

“Are you threatening me?” Kade laughed.

“I don’t know, am I?” Miles asked.

The flames began to glow stronger, their bodies and forms becoming bigger and brighter as the wax began to melt faster. Rile seemed to notice as he lit the last candle and looked shocked at the first. He rubbed his eyes as the first candle had melted to a wax nub. He looked at me. I looked at Kade then to Nathaniel and to Miles; when it looked like they wouldn’t notice I slightly moved my hand, shooing him away from the table. He took Xavier’s elbow and pushed him away. My pulse was frighteningly fast and the heat in my face was making me sweat- I was nervous.

One strand of hair began to lift away from its framed position along my face and hover in the air. A couple more strands. Not now- not now. I chewed harder on my lip until I was tasting blood. The room felt stuffy, the heat bore a hole into my head and slapped every nerve in my body, making me coil and retract. The chains rattled every time I moved. Levi looked down at me every time I changed position. I heard a voice from somewhere behind me. I looked to the side, behind the thrones and I gasped. Tobiah. A collar sat against his neck and chains linked him to the floor.