Chapter Nine

Miles stormed in like the horses on jousting days- fire atop his head, sending veins of magma streaking through his charcoal black hair. His skin became tinted grey and his eyes mimicked orange flames. His heart was pounding in his chest as he stalked to the throne room. His hands were thick and burnt by the time he even got to the palace. He spent hours trying to cool off but everything just rehashed and scars were cut back open. He remembered his sister's face, he knew it was her, saw it in her eyes. They were two the last time he saw her but some ability with his memory had allowed him as a young toddler to remember his sister, his twin. He grew up longing for her return, to take the throne and save them all. The realization, though, that she had finally returned but had fallen into debt of Master Slave to false king of Water was as disturbing as a Dark marrying a Light. Some things just don't mix, they don't fit, and Water and Fire don't mix.

He knew they hadn't been in anything serious; the Water king could not possibly fall for a princess from Fire. Could he? He shook of the ridiculous thoughts and continued on with the rant that played like an orchestra through his head. He needed to find a way to help her escape, to save her before she became like Water. Arrogant, selfish, detestable.

He bit his lip at the thought of his sister, the poor little princess from Fire...slaving for the King of Fire's Nemeses. Hatred growled and bit at Miles’ heels as he thought of the many things the King could make her do, the indescribable action. It sickened him to think about it, but he had to think of every possibility. He needed to save her, but how?

His steps had quickened as the taste of bile rose in his throat as he thought of his sister with that collar on her neck. He wouldn't do that to her. Well heck if he wouldn't, he thought to himself.

He paced outside the throne room trying on composure before entering. His mother no doubt would be upset but he couldn't make her so and take the chance of her having heart problems.

Pst!" a small voice rang from behind a pillar with live yellow lava running through the glass pillar like a tube. Then it came again, this time with a small lisp.

"Pst, Miles!"

He turned to look at the pillar. Rolling his eyes he rested his hand on his hilt and walked forward. His steps became silenced and he poked his head around the pillar and then the two small girls screamed. They fell on their bottoms in the crushed charcoal. They looked up and with gap toothed grins and stuck out their tongues. Miles picked one of the girls up by the wrist and looked deep into her small grey eyes. "Tilla, what are you doing?"

"Hiding."

Beth stood up and stumbled over into his arms. "Are you going to see mother?"

He looked at both of them and nodded. "Yes, I was going to, until you crept up on me."

They smiled again and kissed his cheek.

"Love you too; now don't make trouble for Lady Wren."

They shrugged and ran away through the maze of flames and the fountain spurting fire. He watched them go with their black hair flying behind them. The citizens of Fire were mostly the same, red, grey or black hair. The only royalty with red hair, though, was The Queen and his sister. His father, who died only a short while after Tilla and Beth's birth, had hair like his, and the girl's had taken after him too.

His hair put out and flew back into his eyes and he brushed off charcoal dust from his trousers. He rose from his knees and opened the door. Stepping in at first, there was a minuscule glow from candle light and then more candles where lit by servants who worked quickly with matches. The Queen sat dressed in gold with embroidery of charcoal stones in the skirt and orange brocade. Her red hair was put atop her head in ringlets and a crown of gold perched amongst the curls.