Who to Trust?

Wednesday came, and Erin couldn't tell you how excited she was about tomorrow. She hasn't even told the gang about what she's going to do. She doesn't want to worry them. They have their worries since Bryson is a Soc, even though Erin assures them it's okay; that Bryson is her friend.

Erin stepped outside on the porch. Sodapop came in as she went out the door, so she could only assume Blanca was out there. And she was. She was leaning against the railing of the porch, gazing out at the clouds. "Hey, Erin," She said when she noticed her.

"Hey," She responded. "What's up?"

"Nothing much. I was just talking to Soda," She sighed happily with a smile on her face.  Then she turned to her and said out of the blue, "So...who's this Bryson dude exactly?"

"He's just a friend. That's all."

"And a Soc."

"He's a nice Soc," Erin retorted. "There can be nice Soc's. Take Randy for an example." She was hoping that would make her believe that he was a good guy. She knew he was. She's been talking to him for a few weeks and he's really nice to her.

"Randy is my only exception. I don't trust Soc's."

"No one does here." Erin laid her arms on the railing and rested her arms on top of them. "I know Johnny and most others have a reason too. Even I have a reason too; we've all been jumped before. But...but there is something different about Bryson. I don't know how to explain, but I know he's different. He's nicer than the others. He doesn't look down on us, well...most of us, anyway."

"It seems too good to be true to me."

Erin just shrugged. She didn't want to have the conversation. She knew everyone was either jealous or concerned. They had no reason to be. She knew what she was talking about. She was sure of it.

...

Erin was talking to Bryson the next day at school. He was discussing the plan one more time before it would be put into action in a couple hours. Erin was getting more excited just thinking about it.

The time finally came for Erin and Bryson to put their plan to action. Bryson ran to the back of the school to help with the surprise as Erin had the job of getting Christiana to it. Erin walked up to Johnny once school was over and told him that she had to do something with Christiana. It was the first time he had ever seen her. He just gave her a small wave and said, "Hello."

"Hey!" She cheered. Christiana was a talker. "Johnny, right?" Johnny nodded in response, figuring she would keep talking. "Erin's told me so much about you!"

"She has?"

"Yep! She talks about how much she likes you, like, all the time."

Erin blushed and so did Johnny. "Okay," Erin finally broke the tension. "We have to go. Johnny, I'm going somewhere with Christiana today. So I will be home later."

"Okay, Erin. That's fine," Was all he said before they walked off. Johnny turned around to his locker with a sigh. She'll be fine. She's with Christiana. Bryson won't be there. Everything will be okay. She's a nice person.

As they left Johnny behind, Erin and Christiana continued to talk. The only thing Erin was really worried about was how she was going to get Christiana behind the school. "Hey," She finally spoke after thinking of a plan. "I...I left something in the gym. I don't want to go back in, can we just go around back?"

Christiana shrugged, seeing no harm in it. "Sure."

So they walked to the back to the school. Erin was in front of Christiana with a huge smile on her face. She knew this was going to be a good surprise. That she was going to love it. She was right about one thing, it was a good surprise.

When they turned the corner to the back of the school, Erin was met with the faces of Shawn, Bryson, and some other Soc's she didn't know the names of. She went to turn around but she only ran into Christiana. "Woah," She stated, a smug grin on her face. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Christiana...we have to go."

"But we just got here." She pushed her back and Shawn grabbed her arms, pinning them behind her back. "Relax, Erin. We're going to have a great time." The grin never left her face as she walked to Bryson's side.

"You-you little...little..." Erin wanted to call them so many names but nothing came out.

"What's the matter, doll? Cat got your tongue?" Shawn laughed. Then his face turned serious. "Maybe that's a good thing...for us."

She tried to back away, but with the Soc's holding her that was hard to do. She swallowed hard and choked out: "Why?"

Bryson let out a chuckle. "Because we don't like filthy little greasers, Angel. That is what your little boy toy calls you, right? Pfft. Don't see why."

"Don't you ever call me that!" She spat, trying to launch herself at him but, of course, not going anywhere. "And he's not a boy toy, so shut your traps!"

Shawn rolled his eyes. "Bryson! David! Get over here and told her. I don't want her to go anywhere and get hurt, now do I?" Once they grabbed her, Shawn put a finger under Erin's chin, forcing her head up. She didn't want to look him in the eye so she stared at Christiana.

I thought you were different. I thought you both were. The guys were right; they always—

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a blade. Erin sucked in a breath and squirmed in their grip. It feels like almost all her encounters with Shawn involve a blade, and since the stab incident she's been even more scared of them. The last time, when he jumped Cassidy and Blanca, he didn't have much of a chance to pull out the switch blade. Now...now he has all day to do whatever he wants.

"Try anything..." He held the cold metal against her neck. "and I'll slit your throat. You hear me?" He shoved her a little bit, making his intentions even more clear. She gulped and nodded her head ever so slightly.

Shawn grinned devilishly and started to cut her shirt. "Stop! No! Please don't!" She begged, trying to get away. Shawn gave the two boys a look; they knew what it meant. They let go of Erin and Shawn shoved violently against the wall. She hissed in pain as her head collided with the brick wall.

"You better stop it right now! Do you want worse? I could make it to where you never see those nasty greasers again. How would you like that, huh?" Her shook her head, tears pricked at her eyes. "Then don't fight me."

"You need to calm down, Er," Christiana said, walking over to her with a beer bottle in her hands. "Here," she handed it to Shawn. "Give her some of this."

Erin stared at the bottle. She didn't want any of it. She didn't want to be here. She should have knew better than to trust them. But she let her feelings get in the way of what was right in front of her. The cold, heartless Soc's who were going to do their worst.