Chapter - 5

I woke to an annoyingly consistent beeping noise.

"Lena?" Someone mumbled. I turned my head slightly. Mr michaels was sitting in the seat beside my bed. "How do you feel?" He murmured, taking my hand gently.

"You look awful." I commented, taking in his appearance. He chuckled.

"That's because he hasn't left your side in three days." A nurse told me as she entered the room with a dinner tray. "Hungry love?"

I nodded weakly and Mr michaels wrapped his arm around me, gently lifting me into a sitting position.

"What happened?" I asked him quietly.

"You passed out." He mumbled. "I kind of panicked and called the hospital immediately."

"Is something wrong with me?" I whimpered. I clutched his hand tightly. The nurse placed a bowl on the table at my bedside.

"Well you're not unhealthy or anything." She started. "But were you aware that you had a heart problem?"

I gasped.

"Oh don't worry sweetie. It can be kept under control. You're going to be fine." She soothed. I nodded, holding back my tears until she left the room. Mr michaels wrapped his arms tightly around me.

"It's alright." He murmured. I buried my face in his chest.

"Why did you stay with me?" I mumbled.

"I was worried." He told me honestly, brushing the back of his hand against my cheek. "Now come on. You need to eat something." He gently placed the bowl in my lap and handed me the spoon. I scrunched my nose up at the bowl of tomato soup. Hospital food. I love it...Not! Mr michaels noticed my distaste.

"Don't you like tomato soup?" He guessed. I shook my head and he laughed. "Give me a minute." He took it away from me and left the room.

While he was gone I stared at my lap, clasping and unclasping my hands nervously. I always felt uncomfortable being alone.

"Here." Mr michaels murmured, placing something on my lap. I stared down at it. "The food's always better in the cafeteria." He mumbled. I smiled and picked up the sandwich he'd handed to me. As I ate he climbed onto the bed and wrapped one arm around me. I leaned into him.

"Thank you." I whispered. "For everything."

"I'm just glad you're okay." He murmured softly. We stayed silent while I finished eating.

When I was finished I lay down.

"Mr michaels?"

"Would you mind just calling me nathan?" He interrupted. I nodded weakly.

"Do you know what's wrong with my heart?" I whispered.

"Yes." His expression was distant. "You have Pulmonary Hypertension." He mumbled.

"What's that?"

"The right side of your heart is swollen."

I tried to sit up but he held me down gently. "Just go to sleep Lena. You'll feel better in the morning." He soothed. I yawned.

"Will you stay?" I whispered faintly. I barely registered his nod.

I was pulled abruptly back to conciousness when the door was thrown open. It slammed against the wall.

"Is she awake?" Corey demanded.

"I am now." I grumbled, scowling at him in annoyance. He dropped to his knees, sighing with releif. "Corey!" I gasped, sitting up. He looked up.

"Are you alright?" He whispered. I nodded and he struggled to his feet. Nathan moved away from the bed, allowing him to sit by my side. I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Lena I'm so sorry." He almost sobbed. I felt tears of my own beginning to form.

"Forget it." I mumbled. "We can talk when I'm better."

He nodded, wiping his eyes.

"I thought you were dead when I saw you pass out." He whispered.

"You saw that?"

"Yeah. I saw everything. I wanted to comfort you when you started crying but-" He looked up at Nathan. "Well, he was there." He growled. I smacked his chest and he winced. "Sorry." He grumbled. I sighed and buried my face in his neck.

"You have no idea how much you piss me off." I mumbled. He gave a small chuckle and kissed my forehead.

"I know I should stop but it's too much fun. Your reactions are cute."

"Even when they involve beating you up?" I demanded. He shrugged.

"It doesn't matter how much you beat me up. It'll never stop me from lov- Caring about you." He corrected himself quickly but I reached up to kiss his cheek.

"I love you too." I mumbled sleepily. The grin on his face made me giggle. He lay me down again and gently placed a bunch of roses in the vase beside my bed. I hadn't realised he was holding them. He kissed my forehead again and sat in the seat beside my bed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nathan leave the room but I was too tired to protest. Corey lay his face next to mine and I could feel his warm breath on the side of my face. Slowly I slipped out of conciousness.

When I woke I was alone. I sat up slowly and put a hand to my head. I felt dizzy.

"Are you okay?" Someone mumbled. Nathan was standing in the doorway.

"I thought you went home." I whispered. My voice was hoarse. He gently handed me a glass of water.

"No. I promised I'd stay didn't I? I just wanted to give you and corey some time alone."

"Oh." My throat thanked the moisture from the water and I coughed slightly to get my voice back. "Did corey leave?"

"Yeah. He left about an hour after you fell asleep." He told me. I nodded and downed the rest of the water. He took the glass from me and placed it on the bedside table.

"When am I allowed home?" I mumbled.

"I'm not sure." He admitted. I sighed. I hated hospitals with a passion. They were way too familiar to me since I'd stayed at the hospital with my mother while she was ill. The room bought back memories of when I was a child. A small tear escaped the corner of my eye and Nathan rubbed at my back gently.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll be home soon." He soothed. All I could do was nod silently. He looked up at the clock. "I've got to go home. I need to get ready for work." He mumbled.

"Okay."

"Don't worry." I'll come and see you soon." He promised quietly. "And corey should come and see you later."

I nodded and he gave me a small smile before leaving. I sighed and closed my eyes, drifting back to sleep.