Unbelievable

Unbelievable

I had come and gone most of the year, mostly to keep an eye out for my students. With two known death eaters there, both as teachers it was uncertain whether it was safe. I came back just in time to see Fleur being dragged out of the maze, tears of anger running down her dirt-covered face. I went to stand by her but she was in a horrible mood, wouldn't let anyone near her- she was out. "Fleur just calm down. You did wonderfully." She folded her arms and I brushed some dirt off the front of her uniform. What seemed like a very long time later Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory landed in the center of everything and the trumpets blew. People got up from their seats to meet the two boys but Cedric did not move, Harry laid protectively beside him shaking with tears until the trumpets stopped. Cedric Diggory was dead. I ran forward to help, I was after all very helpful at holding other students back. "He's back." Harry told Dumbledore sounding terrified. Mad eye pulled Harry off Cedric and Dumbledore went to deal with Mr. Diggory telling Harry to wait where he was.

I went to the front of the stands and held student back, letting teachers through. I noticed Harry and Mad eye had disappeared. "Snape, tell Dumbledore Mad eye took Harry!" I had to yell slightly over the confusion but he nodded and turned back to Dumbledore. Then it hit me, what Harry said, 'he's back' Could it finally be Tom? Students pushed past me but I didn't care, I was practically shaking; but in happiness? I wasn't sure- maybe it was fear... After all this time I'd questioned where my alliance lied, thinking I belonged with Tom. "Professor? Are you alright?" Gabrielle pulled on my sleeve and I jumped slightly. "Ah sure. Where's your sister? She is probably upset you should go see her." I suggested, I wanted to be alone. She nodded and smiled sadly, running off to her sister.

I started walking back up to the castle when I felt a burning in my arm, I was being summoned. If I disapperated it would take me to him. Then I remembered all of the people he'd killed, all of the lies and I stopped. I wouldn't go to him- not yet- not until I was ready to deal with his crimes. Would I ever be able to understand why Tom was the way he was? I made my way to the library, into the restricted section and began reading. Nothing was good enough, nothing to make me understand. When my dark mark stopped burning I relaxed slightly and went to where nobody would look.

I went to the ministry of magic.

Dumbledore had sent the ministry an owl informing them of Voldemorts return but they refused to believe it. They did, however buy my story about wanting a job at the ministry that would keep me busy. I went under the name of Prewett- it being the most innocent name I could think of in such short notice. I staged my own death and made sure the ministry had it noted then hid deep within the ministry. I covered my scar and my dark mark up with a spell of my own making and changed my blond hair brown. I became Harley Prewett, an unspeakable in the department of mysteries. I wasn't happy in the slightest but I was hidden. And I was busy.

Voldemort kept quiet for a long time and the ministry printed horrible things about Dumbledore and Harry Potter in the Profit. I rarely got away from work and when I did I went to my apartment and waited to be called back in. I worked in the death chamber- studying a veiled archway leading into death. It was quite frightening but now I finally understood why Tom had been afraid of death...

This went on for nearly a year when one night I was working late and heard load cracks of spells being cast. I cast an invisibility charm over myself and his beside the door, planning on ambushing whoever came in or sneaking out behind them. The door swung open and Harry Potter came flying through the door and crashing down the stairs towards the veil along with three other kids, Neville Longbottom, Herminone Granger and Luna Lovegood. I slammed the door shut, holding the death eaters back for a moment. "Is everyone alright?" Harry asked not realizing my presence. Unlike Luna who nodded and stared at the door. Before she could ask, "Who closed the-" death eaters came spilling in and they ran through the other door. I caught a glimpse of a familiar face running past, Mulciber. Blood dripping down his face looking horribly angry. I put a hand over his mouth and pulled him to the side, ripping his wand away from him.

I waited till the door on the other side of the room closed before releasing him and taking the spell off me. "Mulciber? What's going on? Why are you chasing children!" He looked angry and confused for only a moment then he got a good look at me and scowled. "You're dead. What are you doing here?!" I put my wand and his wand to his throat. "Tell me now." I hissed slightly, the menace returning in my voice. As much as I disliked Potter I felt a need to protect Cedrella's kids, and her grandchildren. Like Ginny Weasley. "There's a prophecy here about the dark lord and only he and Potter can take it off the shelf. Potter's got it and the dark lord needs it. But now that you're not dead I'm sure the dark lord will be more interested in that." He pressed his fingers to my own dark mark and summoned him. "Stupify." Mulciber flew backwards and hit the wall as I turned myself invisible.

The door flew open on the other side of the room dropping in the children once more, although Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger had joined them. Ron was being strangled by one of the brains from the brain room! The rest of them were too distracted to notice me helping Ron. A red light pulsed around the brain and then it released leaving Ron coughing and gasping. Everyone was fighting but I didn't know which side I was on so I watched invisibly. The Potter chased Bellatrix LeStrange into the hall as she laughed and screamed at him. I wasn't sure I liked Potter but I knew I hated Bellatrix. I followed them into the main room after traveling through the battle. I ran through the main doors- still invisible. There he was, leaning over Potter, time seemed to be stopped around Dumbledore.

I started running towards them but the minister and aurors came out of the fireplaces and Tom disappeared. Tears swelled in my eyes but I turned around and went back through the doors. Ron could use my help more than Dumbledore. When I got to his side he was breathing hoarsely and seemed to be snickering slightly at something. I took the spell off me so he could see me. "Can you hear me?" He gave a pained grunt then started laughing. Must be a confundus charm. I took the spell off him and then another to heal his throat. "Are you feeling better now?" I pulled him off the ground so he was sitting against the wall. "Yeah, uh who are you?" He rubbed the bright red tentacle marks down his neck and face. "My name's Harley Prewett. Lets get you back to your friends alright?" I pulled Ron off the ground and slowly we made our way down to the group of injured teenagers and teary adults. "Who's that?" Ginny asked holding a broken ankle. "Harley Prewett, she got the brain thing off of me." Ginny's eyes widened in confusion, "Are you related to our mum then? Molly Prewett?" I shook my head not wanting to say more. Luna joined in the coversation to my dismay. "Professor? Professor Payton?" I shushed her and whispered a bit of an explanation. That I had people looking for me under that name and they were not to breath a word of it. "But I thought you were dead..." I shrugged, "That was the idea."

I fixed Ginny's ankle and Luna's nose and then went to the minister. "Miss. Prewett? What on earth are you doing here?" Percy Weasley asked as I approached the minister who seemed to be in shock. "I was working late." Percy looked to the minister for a moment and then, deciding he was on his own continued. "Take a few weeks off Prewett. You deserve it!" I gave a slight bow of my head and located Dumbledore. "Is there anything I can do professor?" Dumbledore turned and his eyes widened in surprise. "So this is where you've been hiding? I would like you to help the injured students and be sure they all return safely to Hogwarts. Then I would like to talk to you in my office." Then he placed his arm back around Harry and walked into one of the fireplaces. I blew my dark hair away from my face and turned to do as Dumbledore asked.