Year Six: Part One

Part One

I turned as the door disappeared behind me and I was barely containing my happiness. It wasn't the Chamber of Secrets but it was secret, it was hidden and I uncovered it! Wait till Tom saw! I froze in my tracks. What about William? Why didn't I want to show William? We'd drifted apart throughout the summer and this year and Tom and I had grown closer. But still... I should want to show him a little, shouldn't I? But the thought of showing him made it less... Special. Maybe I shouldn't see William anymore, it had been dawning on me for some time, it was obvious I wasn't as interested in him as he was with me. By the time I was at the common room I had my mind set but not now. Now I was too excited about the room I found.

I ran up the boys staircase and banged on Toms door. William answered in dress clothes. "What are you wearing?" He smiled a little, "Professor Slughorn invited us all for a dinner party. I'm part of the slug club." He smiled happily, kissed my cheek and hurried past me. Tom stood in front of the mirror struggling with his bow tie, it was cute actually. I walked up quietly behind him and tied it up from behind him. I rested my arms around his neck and looked at his smiling face through the mirror. My tattoo was dark against his pale skin and I looked down for an instant only to find his was covered up. School robes and dress robes usually covered our tattoos but on weekends they were totally visible. "Can't you just skip it? I've found something really cool and I've just got to show you."

Tom kept a cool composure but still managed a smile. He never smiled around anyone but me. He kissed the scar on the side of my face. Something I'd refused to get fixed after Tom told me I was still beautiful. I blushed a little. "I can't Harley. I need to ask Professor Slughorn questions. He's the only one who can help me." I frowned and gave him puppy dog eyes. "Please Tom... You'll only be a little late." Toms resistance gave out and he muttered, "Fine." under his breath. I grabbed his hand and led him down the hallway towards the room of requirement. I'd read a rumor it excited but never believed it until I needed it.

I closed my eyes and thought about how much I needed the room. When I opened my eyes there was the great black door. I pushed it open and heard Tom gasp. "It's amazing, Harley. Thank you."

We spent time going through the piles of random things people had hidden or thrown away. But finally Tom excused himself, he should at least show up at the party, he thought. Soon after I went back to the common room and settled in front of the fire with a book. Slowly all of Toms knights came through the common room, obviously having drunken too much for they stumbled and slurred. I was on better terms with most of them now, now that Tom and I were inseparable. Mulciber even whispered a slurred, "Night." Before trying to get up the stairs. I yawned a decided not to wait for Tom. I had just closed my book when William stumbled in front of me. At first he didn't seem very drunk so when he asked me to go walking with him I agreed, hoping it would be private so we could talk.

"William?" I asked quietly, trying to make it easier. He didn't reply, just led me out to the black lake. "I think that maybe we should just be good friends. I don't think I feel the same way about you." I worded it as best I could but he just turned to me with an angry look on his face. "You don't mean that. You're just scared. You care about me, Harley. I know you do. Just don't deny our love." I couldn't deny that I cared for him a little but not like that. I'd been lonely and it was cruel but I'd never truly been in love with William. He took my head in his hands and forced a kiss on me. I pushed him away and slapped him across the face. "I'm serious, William. Don't touch me again." He ignored me and pushed me onto the sand. I tried to roll away but he just held me in place. I couldn't use my magic, he had me pinned to the ground by my wrists.

When he kissed me I could taste the fire whiskey on his breath, the second he pulled away I let out an ear-piercing scream. It was late, nobody would hear me. I squirmed underneath him and then suddenly William was gone in a flash of gold light. I pushed away from where I thought was and started running.

I ran straight into somebody and knocked them to the ground. I flailed before listening to their voice calming me. "It's okay, Harley. It's me. It's Tom." after I calmed down a little Tom still held me but asked if I was alright and what had happened. I explained the whole story and told him I was fine, just angry and scared.

Tom walked me back up to the common room and said he'd see me tomorrow before leaving the common room. I looked out my window before climbing into bed and swore I saw him walking down to the great lake, a taller man by his side. Had he gotten a professor? I was too tired to wait and ask, I went to sleep. It had been a professor apparently because William Avery was expelled.