Chapter 30 - Humairah

Unity Plaza was where I started working in as a salesgirl after leaving Ahmad's house three years back. The plaza was very close to my uncle's house so I had no trouble in transportation. I started working as a full time employee there before school made me to switch to part time. My boss was no one but Mr. Ken Rosenberg, he was a very rich and wonderful man. He alone occupied 9 shops in the Plaza and had many employees. His shops were number 6, 10, 14, 17, 20, 25, 28, 30, and 31 – all in the first and second floors. We had the best and affordable mobile phones there and their accessories. Those that worked full time were paid N28,000 monthly (28 days) while those that worked part time (Saturdays and Sundays) were paid N8,000 monthly (8 days). But you could also get much more through interests from purchases, and some customers may even ask you to keep the remaining change with you.

The Zaki Beverage Factory was always open for the top officials and labourers, while people like me had weekends as free days. Hence I would go to Unity Plaza on those free days at least to earn something for myself. By the way, I heard Zaki Group used to pay I.T students but I was in my second week so I can't really tell about that for now.

Today being Saturday, I went to Unity Plaza as early as 8 O'clock in the morning. We normally used to have lot of customers during weekends and people loved buying things in our shops because of our trustworthiness and refundability. If the product you purchased got faulty within 12 months, we could replace it for you without any delay. Our boss knew business, you know!

"Hello!" A tall army officer bounced into the shop I was in charge of and began looking around. "Who's here please?" He asked.

"I am the one, sir" I cheerfully replied. "Welcome to Ken's shop number 25, how may I help you sir?"

"I need iPhone 11 Pro, do you have it?" He said.

"Let me check if we still have it in stock, sir" I said checking the record book. "Gosh, all has been sold off but we have the Pro Max" 

"Okay, let me call my wife and ask if she wants that one" He said as he pulled out his phone.

"Okay sir" I said as I took the sealed package of the phone from the shelf and put it in front of me. I knew the wife would definitely like it because Pro Max was practically the best of all the three variants of the Apple's iPhone 11s.

"Sweetheart, they only have the pro max here too" He said as soon as he dialed her number. "How about the shops you said you will check in?" He wrinkled a brow. "No any iPhone 11 at all?" He dropped his jaw. "Okay, I think we should just buy the Pro Max or what do you think?" He queried. "Okay, come to shop 25..." He heaved a sigh. "I love you too" He hanged off the call and turned to me. "She said she's coming" He apprised me.

"Alright sir" I amicably uttered with a smile. And in less than a minute, his wife bounced in. To say I was surprised is an understatement. "Naziha??" I squealed.

"Humairah??" She rose her brows.

"You knew each other?" The army man chimed.

"Yes, it's a long story" She said as she quickly held his hand. "Let's go back home, honey!"

"But... how about the phone?" He asked.

"Forget about it, we will buy it another day" She said.

"Okay then" He said.

...

"Hmmm!" I returned the phone package into the shelf as soon as they left, thank God I didn't even unseal it if not who would buy an unsealed iPhone? But talking about Naziha, so she was still in Nigeria? I thought I heard she ran overseas? Did Ahmad even knew she was still in Nigeria? No, if he knew that she was still here he would definitely search for her. But how about that Army officer? OMG, was he her husband or what? By the way she had changed totally, the beauty wasn't there anymore and she had pimples allover her face. 

I kept thinking about her until I later returned back home, thus I ate dinner, had a warm shower and then hopped onto my bed. I was so tired, and just as I was about falling asleep my phone began buzzing and ringing at the same time. It was a call from an unsaved contact ending with 9816, and of course I knew who the caller was. It was Ahmad, hence I hissed and declined the call. I thought that was it but then he called again, I did the same thing and in less than a minute his text message arrived.

"Ignoring me is not the best solution to your problem. I know you love me, you told me that three years ago and I believe you still love me. I am sorry for turning your hands down. Please stop ignoring me, I want you around me..." 

I couldn't finish reading his text message when sleep overtook me. I was practically tired, you know? And for those thinking I was being selfish or something, they aren't in my shoes that's why.

I believe every sane girl would treat Ahmad the way I was treating him because people like him needed to be taught great lessons on how to value the feelings of women, especially women like me that are naive and fragile!

***************

Hmmm, sometimes you wish the person you love see things the way you see but that's just a wishful thinking. Love is just unpredictable.