Mercutio's repressed fears

Inspired by true events...

Horror fanatics: please forgive my complete lack of knowledge. I'm doing my best. Spoiler warning if you haven't seen It: Chapter 2 yet.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

In retrospect, better It than The Conjuring. It could've been worse.

Tybalt, being Tybalt, considered a classic horror movie to be a worthy substitute for going trick-or-treating. Since no one else agreed with him, they postponed movie night to the the next day.

Tybalt, Juliet, Romeo, Mercutio, and Benvolio all piled on and R&J's couch in front of the TV with some form of movie snack. The plan was to gorge themselves on junk food and get the shit scared out of them by the movie.

Now, it wasn't that Mercutio disliked horror. He simply had a healthy respect for it. He preferred action or psychological thriller or sci-fi or really anything that wasn't designed to scare the shit out of people. He didn't see the point. Watch the movie, scream a bit, say you're fine, then keep yourself awake with paranoia until some ungodly hour of early morning. Why??

Benvolio, on the other hand, enjoyed horror in small bursts. A movie here, a haunted house there, and no worries. Get the shit scared out of you and then fangirl over genius makeup jobs the next day. He assumed he'd been desensitized after years of walking in front of Romeo during all things Halloween, but he didn't mind. It just made it more amusing to see everyone around him jump.

So, naturally, Ben was pumped to be sat between his cousin and Mercutio, both of whom he knew were incredibly jumpy.

"Remember, there's no shame in backing out," Tybalt teased as his finger hovered over the play button. "You alright there, Mercutio?"

"Fuck off, I'm fine," Mercutio scoffed. "Just play the movie."

Bridge scene. Ben took note of the fact that Mercutio had pulled his knees to his chest. He was unsure whether it was the violence or the homophobia that caused this.

Stanley's suicide. Ben remembered Mercutio was seeing Chapter 2 for the first time. He weaved their fingers together.

Denbrough's drug-induced vision. Mercutio had tightened his grip on Ben's hand and showed no signs of relinquishing it.

Victoria's death. Mercutio exchanged his look of shock and sadness with Juliet's excited one. (She had been on the edge of her seat the entire time. She loved that movie.)

Mrs Kersh. Mercutio jumped with the jump scare as expected, letting out a breathy laugh in what Ben assumed was a release of tension.

Eddie standing up to Leper. A faint glint of happiness, enjoyment, glinted in Mercutio's eyes.

It killing Dean. Mercutio discreetly hid his face in his knees, his hand squeezing Ben's harder whenever there was a particularly gory sound effect.

The Losers perform their ritual. Mercutio nonchalantly asked, "How much longer in the movie?" As soon as the spider emerged, he amended with: "Nevermind."

Richie is caught in the Deadlights. Mercutio was biting his lip. A lot. Ben worried he'd bleed.

"Just a clown." Relieved but still very tense, Mercutio allowed himself to uncurl a little, tucking his legs under himself.

Richie returns to the bridge. Mercutio was smiling an empty smile, the kind he did when smiling was the last thing he wanted to do.

Credits. Tybalt and Juliet were laughing and talking animatedly about something, Juliet making wild gestures and sound effects. Romeo was wrapped in a blanket burrito with only his eyes showing, but by the crinkle around the edges Ben knew he was grinning.