Couple-ish

Hey! To make up for the angst in the last chapter, have a nice Lysander and Hermia fluff.

I'm honestly really excited for this because I love my modern AU Hermia. She's a lot like me. (On a good day, guys. Don't overestimate me XD)

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

~ Lysander's PoV ~

I squirmed out of my mother's grip as she tried to smooth my wild hair down for what felt like the bajillionth time that morning.

"Mama! Stooop!" I whined.

"Sorry bud," she chuckled. "I suppose it was silly of me to think I could tame your lion's mane!" She picked me up and spun me around, causing me to erupt in a fit of giggles.

"Okay little lion, let's get you to the bus. You don't wanna be late for your first day," she said, holding my hand as we walked down the sidewalk.

By the time the bus arrived I was practically bouncing with excitement. I think Mama thought I was nervous, because she rubbed her thumb across the back of my hand and smiled at me.

"Bye honey! Have a good day! I love you!"

"Love you too!"

~ Bus ride time skip where I get nostalgic over a Justin Roberts song (Yellow bus, you're takin too long, youre takin too long, my yellow bus) ~

I weaved between older kids that looked like high schoolers but were probably actually just 5th graders. Finally reaching the sanctuary of my classroom, I placed my backpack in the cubby with my name on it.

Okay, now it's time to find friends. Mama always said that all I had to to make a good impression was introduce myself and make sure to smile.

Most of the other kids seemed to already be talking to people. All except one girl, that is, who was too focused on her drawing to try to talk to people.

I was instantly intrigued by her. She was wearing a white silky scarf, a black short-sleeve shirt, and a bright, puffy tutu. I noticed purple rainboots under the table, as well as a silver sequined headband holding back hair that was almost as wild as mine.

Having zero sense of when people were too busy to pay attention to me (like all other kindergarteners ever), I sat in the chair next to her.

"Hi!" I chirped, smiling as big as I could.

She looked up from the jumble of colors on the paper in front of her and set down her marker.

"Hello."

"My name's Lysander. What's yours?" I asked, figuring it was common courtesy to know a person's name before you ask what the heck they're drawing.

"Hermia," she stated, holding her hand out. I shook it happily.

"What are you drawing?" I asked, leaning over to see if I could decipher it from another angle.

She suddenly grinned. I guess she liked talking about her art more than her name.

"A rainbow octopus," she said. "But octopuses have eight arms and there are only six colors in the rainbow, so I had to use pink and brown so that they could all have their own color."

"It's octopi, actually," I corrected before I could stop myself. Hermia tilted her head in question. "When you have more than one octopus, you call them octopi. It's the same thing with a platypus."

I was worried she'd be mad at me for correcting her, but she grinned instead.

"That's so cool! It makes me think of a pie with eight octopus arms," she said, pulling a blank piece of paper towards her.