5.

Harry

El is going to kill me.

I tried to stay out of it. I really did. But then, she told me we could try out being more open about our relationship once she got a job.

So I may have helped nudge Goldman in the right direction, in her direction. I hadn't shown up and threatened him or anything. I'd simply called his office and spoken to him. Talked her up, told him we had a working relationship and that I believed she would make a fabulous agent.

And then I had promised to switch agencies when my current contract ended in a few months, contingent on Goldman hiring her.

I was going to be in very, very, deep shit when El found out.

I had to prevent her from finding out. Or at least think of something to say to soothe her anger for when she did ultimately find out. She had specifically asked me not to meddle and I had done it anyway because I was selfish.

Selfish but completely in love with her and willing to do anything to let the world know.

I dig through the cabinets in our kitchen looking for the right spices for the stir fry I'm making for dinner. For once I'd had a free day with no commitments and I'd spent it cleaning up our house and stewing over a way to get out of the mess I'd made myself.

I hear the click of the door being unlocked followed by the gentle falsetto of El's voice as she calls out to me.

"Hi love!" I say turning from the stove to face her and hoping my guilt isn't written across my face.

"The house smells clean."

"Yeah, I tried to be productive while I was home. You know I'm not much for sitting 'round."

"Thank you." She praises lifting herself onto her toes to kiss me.

My arms wrap around her and I pull her closer grazing her bottom lip with my teeth and tugging, parting her lips so I can deepen the kiss. She responds immediately, sighing into me and allowing our lips to move together. My hand trails up to cup her cheek and she lifts her own to play with the ends of the hairs located at the base of my neck. I groan as she pulls at my curls, my favorite turn on and she knows it.

"Someone seems awfully happy to see me today. Everything okay?" She asks, her eyes shining with curiosity.

"Oh, uh, yeah babe. I'm always happen to see you. And why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know you just seem off." She shrugs her shoulders and I mentally curse myself out for being so terrible at hiding things. I'm royally fucked.

"Anyways, I have a great news!"

"Oh yeah?" I ask willing myself to make my surprised face believable.

"Yes! Goldman called me and they're giving me the job!"

"No way!" I say, channeling my acting experience and trying to give an appropriate reaction. "That's great babe!" I extend my arms, grasping her waist in my hands and lifting her up. She braces her arms on my shoulders and giggles as she leans down to press her lips to mine.

My heart clinches in my chest with worry. What if she finds out? What if she hates me? What if she moves out? What if she leaves me?

She can't leave me, can she? Where would she go? She lives with me now and she doesn't really have many friends outside of Kambrie. I guess she could go there, but I know she'd feel like a burden so she won't. She won't leave me, she can't.

"Tell me all about it." I say my voice masking my nerves with attempted surprised enthusiasm.

"Mr. Goldman called and said my references were great and he loved the spunk and determination that I displayed in my interview. He said he thought hiring me would be a wise investment and he couldn't wait to have me onboard!"

Her excitement rolls off her in waves and each one crashes against me threatening to dissolve my futile efforts to keep this from her. Once upon a time she had told me she never wanted to be my secret. I'm still not sure what had changed her mind and caused her to want to sink into this hidden bubble we'd created but with every passing day I grew more frustrated and I know that's what had ultimately led me to call Goldman.

"When does he want you to start?" I ask through gritted teeth and a forced smile feeling sweat begin to rise on my back. Fuck I hate lying, especially to her.

"He's bringing me in next Monday so I figured I could go sometime in the next few days and pick out some appropriate work clothing."

"Take my card and get whatever you want, my treat."

"No, no. I have money Haz. I already live in your house and you barely let me help pay for anything as it is. I told you this was my thing and I wanted to do it for myself. That includes the needed wardrobe."

The lump in my throat swells until it's so large I can't force out any words so I simply nod hoping that satisfies her. She raises her eyebrows and seems intrigued with my responses but offers no further comments. Maybe I could figure this out.

"I'm really proud of you, El." I say pulling her against me once more. Hoping that's she's too distracted by her excitement to hear my heart hammering against the walls of my chest.

"So," I start, feeling exceptionally daring. "Now that you have the job, can I at least take you out to celebrate?"

I'm pushing my luck but at least by the time she's angry with me people could know about us. Once it's out, it'll be out and we will no longer have to be in hiding.

"I think a friend type public date could be okay." She grins. "I did promise when I had a job we'd start going more public."

"What about dinner and a stroll through that art museum you like so much?"

"That sounds perfect. Just promise me that for today we keep it just friendly looking to the outside world. If we're going to do this I need to do it slowly so I don't get overwhelmed."

"Alright love, but you know how the press get anytime I'm seen out with a girl."

"Yeah, I just don't want to feed the monster too much. We're just trying to break the ice with this tonight, okay?"

I nod and squeeze her hand trying to assure her I'll protect her. I'm sure even our 'friend-date' will read as more to the paps but I don't care. I've finally convinced her to be seen with me in public and I'm elated.

In this moment, nothing can bring me down.