3.

Ellie

"Mr. Goldman will be with you in a moment." The secretary tells me and I nod while pulliing nervously on the hem of my pencil skirt.

She has kind eyes and a friendly face I am currently grateful for. With every one of these meetings I go to I seem to lose more and more of my positive outlook. It's nice to see someone that I suspect is not much older than myself for once. I've begun to doubt myself as these meetings continue to go the opposite of the way I had hoped.

I don't want to let Harry know I'm struggling. He's always supportive and goes above and beyond to help me out. In this case though, that's what I am afraid of. My career is something I have worked hard for. I had busted my ass in New York for my degree and this was something I wanted to accomplish due to my own intelligence and hard work, not because of who I was dating.

Every time I hear "Thanks, but no thanks" at one of these meetings I consider changing my stance on the subject.

"Ms. Mitchell?"

I stand from my seat in the most uncomfortable chair I have ever sat on and follow the woman who has appeared in the doorway. Where the secretary was young and friendly looking, this woman was older, at least in her mid-forties, and her face seemed to be set in an ever present frown. She led me down a long hallway to an office labeled Mr. Goldman.

She directs me to a bench and tells me to wait for him to call for me. I sit obediently and gaze around the hall. The white marble floors are so shiny I can see my own reflection in them. The grey walls make everything seem new and modern, but also a little sterile.

"Elouise Mitchell?" A tall man in a navy suit asks, his hand extended for a hand shake as he steps out of him office to join me in the hall.

"Yes, sir. You can call me Ellie." I say accepting his handshake and attempting to reciprocate a firm grip as I make eye contact. Trying to remember all the interview do's and don't's I have ever been taught.

"Paul Goldman. Nice to meet you, Ellie."

"You as well sir."

"Step into my office, let's chat."

I take a cleansing breath before following after him. He gestures to a seat next to his desk as he slips behind it and into his own chair.

"So, Ms. Mitchell. You want to work for Goldman Entertainment?"

"Yes, sir."

"And why is that?"

"Well, I have always been passionate about music though, I lack much musical talent. So I wanted to find a way to make music my job and when I discovered that I could make a career in management I dove in head first."

"Okay, so that answers why you want to work in entertainment, but I want to know why you want to work here."

I sigh out a large breath and bite my lip. Honesty is the best policy I decide before continuing.

"Honestly, I heard that Goldman isn't afraid to take risks on those like me who are new to the industry. I am an incredibly fast learner and you would be pressed to find someone who will work as hard as I will. I just need someone to take a chance on me. I'm hoping you will be that person."

He seems to consider my words before continuing. He asks me a series of industry related questions before standing and escorting me to the door.

"It was nice to meet you Ellie. We will let you know something by the week's end." He says again extending his hand for a handshake.

"Thank you, sir." I turn and make my way out of the building the same way I had come in feeling surprisingly confident after the interview, better than I have felt after any of the others anyways.

I slide into the backseat of the car Harry had insisted I take to this interview. He knows how my nerves get and wanted me to be able to relax before it instead of also stressing about the L.A. traffic.

The car ride passes quickly and soon I find myself hurrying through the door excited to see Harry and tell him about my day.

"Hi, El!" His melodic voice carries through the house from what sounds like the kitchen. I follow the sound and soon find myself face to face with him. He sits down the spoon he's using to stir whatever concoction he working on and moves through the small space quickly. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me in for a kiss.

"How'd it go? I want to hear everything."

"Give me one second to change out of these clothes!" I say as I remove myself from his arms and slip up the stairs to change into a pair of shorts and one of Harry's shirts. "I think it went really well!" I say returning to his side. "He actually seemed to listen to me and didn't seem put off by the fact that I just graduated six months ago and have only interned."

"That's great! Though, I still wish you would just let me sign you as my tour manager for next year or at least let me give you a professional reference." His eyes sparkle as he looks at me, their green hue resembling that of emeralds.

"We want to keep us normal right? We want to keep our private lives ours and ours only, yeah?" I ask immediately taking this conversation where it always goes.

"Ugh." He groans. "I know, I know but I just feel like an ass not helping you. I'm your boyfriend, I'm supposed to do everything in my power to be there for you. This is in my power so I wish I could help you."

"Yeah, well you can't help me without costing us our privacy. And I rather like our private life."

"Oh do you?" he asks, flirtatiously, removing the space between us. He rests his hand on my forearm before allowing it to drift upwards until it reaches the place where my neck meets my shoulders. He gently pulls me forward and his lips meet mine.

The kiss is soft, long and slow, full of love. He slips his tongue past my lips to deepen the kiss as his hands begin to roam my body. When they reach top of the back of my thigh he mumbles "jump" into my mouth and my body does as he has asked on instinct.

He uses my upward motion to lift me onto the kitchen counter with ease. He steps between my legs continuing to trail soft kisses over my lips and down my chin and neck. I groan involuntarily as he gives extra attention to the place he knows is my weakness, just below my ear. He places one final kiss to my lips before moving so that our foreheads are pressed together.

"I'm so proud of you. You know that right?"

I nod and he breathes a content sigh.

"How would you feel about going out tonight?"

"Harry, we can't. We'll be spotted."

"So? People know we're friends. Can't two 'friends' enjoy a night out?"

"Harry..." I start and his face falls in obvious disappointment.

"Okay." He says simply, returning his attention to the stove and our waiting dinner.

An: vote and comment!

Should El let Harry help with her career?

Should they keep their relationship private or go public?

Let me know!
Ily,
Sav 🖤