Chapter fifteen

Annabelles P.O.V

"Look, I'm not swimming with any more mermaids. I have had quite enough of all that fiff faff, if you can't already tell" I said to David, my arms crossed across my chest. He just sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. It was clear that he wasn't used to working with such stubborn people. 

He should have looked into me before jumping to conclusions.

"Darling" he said, dragging the word out. "One; it's not the same mermaid. Two; It's a lot safer in this new aquarium. They will have people on stand by absoloutely every where!" I didn't move from my position. I still had no clue what the job was, but I didn't want to do it regardless. "Honey, you are being offered the main part in a movie! It would be stupid to turn it down. The mermaid that you will be acting with is very well trained. Apparently they've done some surgery, to get him to be able to speak"

I just shook my head, turning around to walk away. Yes, it was a big offer, but I wasn't about to just jump back into the water with more mermaids! And of course, that expensive surgery would have done nothing; they could already talk. "There is a lot of money involved; enough to start up a whole new life, away from here"

I instantly turned back around. How did he know that I wanted to leave? I desperately wanted to off somewhere new, but I hadn't told anyone that yet. "How much?" I asked, keeping my eyes trained on the floor. He couldn't know that I was so interested, even though it was hard not to notice from my instant eagerness.  

"Well, it really depends on how long it takes to film but it could be from around 4 million to 15 million"

I couldn't help it;

My jaw dropped.

4 million? I had never even dreamed of ever owning that much! I could start an amazing life for that much...

And I could save my parents. 

"Fine; but I have my own conditions" David smiled in triumph. He had clearly gotten his own way and wasn't hidding his joy. 

"I want as little physical contact as possible; after what I saw, I'm too scared to touch. I also want a guarantee that I won't get hurt or anyone else around me. I also want a payment in advance"

David raised his eyebrows at me. "Darling, a payment in advance? Honey, it's your first role and they are already questiong you for the part and-"

"Just a small one; just enough to help me start saving"

David continued to scribble down on his pad and I just sighed. I fell back down on to a seat in his office. I didn't want to be in a movie, no. It probably wouldn't even work out... but maybe if I had more moeny, I could help my parents...

And that is all I want.

*****

"How can you eat that?" I asked in disgust, scrunching my nose up at the sight of it. 

"Babe, I can stomach anything" Danny said, taking another bite of the practically mouldy pizza. I wanted to throw up, but then I knew that I would be forced to eat something. 

I drank my water, not really bothered with any of the subjects bouncing around the table. Although, when one particular scene popped up, I was intrigued.

"Apparently the mermaids in the aquarium have been acting strangely lately. I mean, they usually are distant, but of late they are completely lifeless," Kim said, finishing off a mouthful of pasta. "The workers are talking about trying to cure their illness or whatever"

I paused. They were ill? My heart clenched slightly; no matter how horrible it was, they were still classed as animals. You wouldn't want a tiger to get ill, so why would you want it to happen to a mermaid?

"We should go visit them again; they might be extinct soon, if they can't find a way to fix them" It was Lucy who spoke. She had acted like she loved the mers' a lot since we had visited that day, and didn't stop talking about them.

Unlike her, I was petrified. Of course, the others were shaken, but me? I had come into contact with them first hand. I had felt safe in that tank, in his arms...

How naive I had been.

"How about tomorrow night? We can go after school together cause it's gonna be a lot quieter than the weekend, especially now that they are ill."

They all agreed whilst I said nothing. I didn't want to go, but then I wanted to see if he was okay... I couldn't just leave the matter alone, as much as I wanted to. I needed to face the fact that he was still alive and would get away with it.

"Sure. I want to get out more anyway, and why not do it whilst seeing a dying species" Danny said cockily. I smiled at him. "They aren't even that cool! I mean, come on;  we could go to a theme park or somewhere way more enjoyable"

"Theme parks don't have clean facilities" Lucy commented, continuing to fix her perfectly fine hair. Kim rolled her eyes but didn't say anything. 

You would be stupid to go against lucy.

"Fine, but as long as Anna goes"

I looked up at Danny. His eyes shone with mischief, but his face gave nothing away. I nodded, ignoring his pout. I was going to go, I didn't want to be afraid of them forever. If I actually got the role in that movie, then I would be around the species a lot more.

"After school it is then," Lucy said, smiling happily.

If only it would have been a happy visit.

Words: 954

Right, so yes, I know...

I AM ALIVE!

I am so sorry that I haven't updated since November, but that was only because I was trying my best to finish my other story. Now that I have, and the sequel is already up and running, I want to get back to work on this one.

Question of the day: Have you read "Their Flower"?