Chapter 2

We ran, our legs burning and lungs searing. We ran for hours, the forest flying by us in an endless field of green. We ran for hours until we collapsed onto a rock, the moon glowing down from us, a beacon of light from the pain. We stood on that rock and howled at the moon, the sky, the stars, our pain incomprehensible in our howls.

Simon I growled weakly

Yes Aria

What do we do now?

Simon sighed, he silver eyes glinting against his midnight fur. Tears glinted from his cheeks looking like lost stars.

I don't know Aria. I don't know.

Can you sing for me? I asked

Simon nodded and started singing, his deep, clear voice sounding like that of a angel. He started singing a lullaby that we sung for each other.

Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

Grayish blur,
Shaggy fur,
Food is this night creatures lure.

Brown deer,
Very near,
It is brought down full of fear.

Deadly bite,
Very tight,
Every wolf will feast tonight.

I fell asleep to his singing, his warm body next to mine luring me into a deep sleep.

When I woke up, I saw that Simon was missing. Fear pulsed through my heart as I raced along Simon's scent trail, pushing my way through the brush. I smelt Simon's blood and heard faint howls in the distance. No, no, NO! I thought as I pushed froward, my legs sprinting as fast as they could go.

ARIA! Simon screamed through our mind-link

I burst into a clearing, where six wolves had Simon cornered up against a cliff. They were advancing, and Simon was trying to hold them off by snapping at them, his long fangs bared. I leapt next to him, landing gracefully on my paws. I growled, and the other wolves eyes clouded with fear. We easily towered over them, their heads barely came to our underbellies. Simon looked at me, he had a bite in his shoulder and a scratch across his muzzle, and I nodded. We lunged at the wolves at started clawing at their gray, dingy fur. They howled with pain and tried to grab hold of our necks. I clawed one across the face, my long claws leaving deep gashes across his eyes. He howled as I batted him away while lunging for his partners throat. I grabbed it and bit down hard, blood gushing into my mouth. He howled and I bit harder. I heard a snap, and his screams stopped. I glanced briefly over to Simon, who was fending off two. I turned my head back around as I felt claws rake into my white fur. I snarled, at clawed at the wolf, my claws sinking into his belly. I raked his belly over and over, my eyes seeing red. I felt someone nudge my shoulder, and I whirled around, my emerald eyes blazing. I snarled until I saw that it was Simon, the wolves he was fighting lying dead, oozing blood upon the dew-dappled grass.

You okay? Simon asked, nudging my wound with his nose

I nodded. Come on Simon, we need to leave. Someone here dosn't like us

We ran but I got light-headed and collapsed, my breath coming fast, my vision shrouded by black. Simon ran back and and nudged me, his wolf eyes concerned.

Aria? Are you okay? Simon asked

Simon? I... I tried to see, but the blackness claimed my vision and I collapsed.