Chapter 9

Third P.O.V

Aria, James and Jake sprinted out of the cave and out into the bright, crisp air. The pack was standing in a v-like formation, with Kaetlynn at the front, Alex and Haven at her sides and Rain behind Kaetlynn's back. The rest spread out, continuing the v-shape. James pushed Aria into the center of the pack with Simon and Rain, the safest spot, surrounded by the others. Their eyes were all strained to the forest line, probing the trees to see some sign of The Eight's arrival. The air was tense and suffocating as the wolves felt the  blood pumping in their veins. Each person held a weapon of some kind, even Rain with a feathered long staff. And then they appeared. Eight figures clad in black hooded robes, and they seemed to float out of the forest, their gait smooth and powerful. They too were in a v-formation, a male at their head. He stopped 10-feet away from Kaetlynn, and spoke in a powerful voice like a crackling fire.

"Greetings Keatlynn the Blood-spiller"

Kaetlynn's brown eyes glowed as she bowed her head to the boy.

"And greetings indeed to you, Frizev of the Fire" Kaetlynn said

The boy threw his black hood off, revealing coal-colored hair, dark skin and glowing red eyes. 

"I am joyed that you remember me, Alpha of the Mixed-blood pack" he said, the corners of his lips upturned

Kaetlynn stared back grimly. 

"How could I forget you, old friend?"

Aria and Simon looked at each other in confusion. Old friend? Kaetlynn continued speaking, an edge to her voice.

"As happy as I am to see all of you, why are you here in my territory?"

"We will tell you, but tell your precious bird to fly out of the trees and release her bow" another voice said. The voice was that of a girl, and she was near the back of the group.

Kaetlynn narrowed her eyes at the girl, and nodded stiffly. 

"Of course Phyci, the Waterseer. Bird, drop drown"

And with that, the great oak above the cave rustled, and Bird jumped down, her giant bow shealthed upon her back. She nodded to the Eight, and stepped back to Havens shoulder. 

"Now why are you here?" 

"We are here to see how well our little... present was received" Frizev said, his red eyes glowing craftily

Aria unconciously clentched the hilt of her sword, directing Frizev's attention to her.

"I see it was indeed a match. Greetings Aria the White and Simon the Black, we have watched you for many years." he said

Aria looked at Simon in shock, and then fury clouded her eyes when she realized what that meant. 

"You knew?!" she screamed, tears of rage pouring down her face, "You watched as we were beaten, to the point of death daily, and let it happen?! You let them break us, reject us and didn't raise a finger to help? How could you be so cruel!?" she screamed, then buried her head in Simon's chest, her body raked with sobs. James looked at Aria from his position on the outside with longing, wanting to run to her and be the one to comfort her. The Eight however weren't fazed in the least at Aria's outburst. Another robed figure stepped up, face masked bu the hoods shadow. 

"Reeaally Aria, do you thinnk we left youu alone?" the figure hissed, its voice dark and consuming like that of shadows. 

"You were not alone, foolish wolfling, no matter how much you believe. How do you thing you were given the knifes of Chandra and Rhodri the King? We even gave you a guardian, Nalana Sea-Spirit, to watch over you and give you a person to trust. We even saved your lives when your little-ass mates rejected you. They would have killed you, but we lulled their hatred enough for you to escape. So don't ever say that we left you alone, that we left you in hell. You puny animals have no knowledge of true hell." she said, hissing