Chapter 12

Aria's P.O.V

The rest of the week Simon and myself had been training hard with Haven, Jordan and Rain. I hadn't read anything more in the Book of Jatorria, but Rain had me practice meditation and praise to the gods. I had gotten better at using my sword and knife, but Simon had taken to the skill like a fish takes to swimming, and I feared that I wouldn't be ready for the Ceremony tonight. I was currently sitting in the clearing where I caught my first deer with the pack, trying to clear my mind and connect with my wolf. Deep breaths. I felt my heart calm, and I was slipping away, being drawn to a white light. I saw the figure of a wolf, large and graceful with burning green eyes before someone shook me. I was pulled out of the vision, and glared at James.

"Asshole, I think I finally saw my true wolf."

James didn't even look abashed. Instead he smiled, and kissed my lips gently. But before I could respond, he pulled away, his eyes tender.

"Rain needs you. You and Simon need to prepare for tonight. The full moon will be especially strong, so you need to start purifying earlier."

He pulled me to my feet and picked me up bridal style, spinning around. I shrieked, my arms tightening around his neck as the green meadow became swirls of green, blue and pink. He slowed, and set me back on my feet. 

"Would you rather walk?"

I nodded, and with my head held high, I took a step away from him and immediately fell on the ground. 

"Dammit James!"

He laughed and picked me back up, and we walked back to the cave, where Simon, Rain, Jordan and Haven were waiting. 

"Looks like you're late" James whispered in my ear, before putting me on the ground and running into the cave. 

I awkwardly walked towards them, waving a small hello. Haven looked sourly at me, like I was inconveniencing her. 

"Hello Aria. As you know, today is the day of Simon and your's initiation. You will come with me, but leave your weapons with Jordan and Haven." Rain said, leaning on her feathered staff.

I nodded, and walked over to Haven. She held out her hand and I reached to hand her my sword and knife, but something held me back. A niggling feeling inside my heart that they would take my weapons and use them against me. But I pushed it away, unstrapping my scabbard. I handed them to Haven, who was looking at me strangely, like she knew of my indecision. But she said nothing and headed in to the cave with Jordan, leaving me and Simon alone with Rain. An eerie quiet settled upon us, there was no chirping of birds, buzzing of insects or the whispers of wind. A hand landed on my shoulder, making my heart stop. I turned around to the confused face of Simon. 

"Come on Ari. We gotta follow Rain"

I looked at Rain was already at the edge of the clearing, looking back at us. We turned and ran over to her, where she led us through an unfamiliar part of the forest. The sounds of the forest grew quiet, and the air around became stagnant and dark. The only sound my ears could hear was the sound of Rain chanting softly in an unfamiliar language, neither of gods or man. I squeezed Simons hand, but when I looked at him, his black eyes were unfocused, absorbed by a unseen power. 

Suddenly, Rain stopped, whirled her staff and shouted

"Be banished, shadows of Inamur! Take your leave, Dark One, or I will banish you myself"

Rain's voice was filled with power, and it caused me to tremble at its angry authority. The darkness crept in closer, the feeling of suffocating got stronger, and Simon fell to the ground, his body spasming.