Chapter 6

As the sunlight dimmed to a deep, saturated navy, Andy and I started walking with CC and Ash into the parking lot where their car was.

"My knuckles fucking hurt," Ash flexed his fingers while he opened the front door and climbed in.

"Crazy as hell today," CC added, walking around to the other side of the car.

"I know," Andy said, opening the back door for me. I climbed in without saying anything and put my seatbelt on, then just leaned on the window, keeping to myself. Andy just looked at me and scooted over to the middle seat to where our legs were touching.

I didn't really feel like talking after today.

Plus, it was my mom's anniversary for her...well, uhm ... her death. I'd never told Andy about my mom, even when he asked. I just never wanted to talk about 'the incident', because it makes me cry everytime I think about it.

I put my head against the window and propped my arm on the side for support as I closed my eyes. I felt Andy quietly rubbing my arm, and then he kissed my cheek real quick.

"Let's never go back to this fair again, fuckin' sucks," CC said, referring to what happened earlier.

"Hah I know dude. There's another fair place down in Fairfield though."

"That's hecka far from here."

"Yeah well the bitches at this fair cant even afford SECURITY!"

"Yeah fuck this shit."

I fell asleep to their conversation.

A little while later, I was slightly awakened by Andy picking me up.

"Shhh," he said, insisting I go back to sleep. I yawned and did so, then found myself alone in my bed. Then I fell asleep.

~that night~

I dreamt I was back at my old home when I was around 13, and was doing my homework on my bed.

I heard the familiar sound of my mother cooking downstairs, since we were the only ones in the house at this hour.

"Ash!!" She called. I got up and skipped downstairs, into the kitchen where she had a gift set on the dining room table.

"What's this?" I asked as she fixed an out-of-place hair in my ponytail.

"Something for you," she smiled and messed with my ponytail.

"Woah cool!"

I tore off the bubblegum - blue wrapping paper and opened the package. It was a beautiful jewelry box containing a crystal locket, engraved with "I'll always be in your heart no matter what, and you'll always be in mine."

I smiled.

"Thank you for being strong," she said.

"What?" I got confused.

"Love you," she smiled and vanished. My dream went from vivid colors of real life to black. And that's when I woke up. I felt tears streaming out of my eyes. Not fair. Not fair that I can't grow before my mother's eyes or depend on her when in times of need. No child deserves a life like this. My face felt hot with tears and uneven breathing. I felt arms quickly wrap around me, and then Andy gently shaking me to wake me up. My eyes shot open in fear and sorrow for my fallen mother. My eyes focused on Andy, who ever so gently pulled me up to his lap and kissed my head.

"It was just a dream, Ashy," he whispered softly, kissing me. "I'm here for you."

I hugged him tightly, starting to sob. "Don't cry," he whispered as he stroked my cheek. I caught a look at the digital clock on the bedside table, showing it was 3AM.