Chapter 6

Who Killed Ciara?

Chapter 6

Helping Hands

Teeth chattering away, Liam shivered and stuttered out, “H-how long was I g-g-gone?”

“Nearly four hours, mate,” Louis sighed. “Where were you?”

Liam gave a blank stare. “I…don’t know,” he slowly said, as if realizing it himself. “I was running after Mark. And then he talked to me for a minute or so and left me alone. And then something hit my head, and I was knocked out.”

His eyebrows were furrowed as he thought long and hard about what happened. A phone rang loudly in the silence, causing their nerves to jump.

Niall gave a sheepish smile. “That’s me, sorry,” he said, shuffling around to pull his cell phone out. He stared at the number for a moment before biting his lip and ignoring it.

Zayn saw him do so, while Niall tried to discreetly put it away. “Who was that?”

“Er…uh. It was Annie.”

Zayn shook his head. “Just because we’re on a death mission here doesn’t mean you’ve got to put your love life on hold, Niall. Go talk to her.”

Niall hesitated a moment before nodding his head and walking away with his cell phone pressed against his ear.

Noticing that everyone was starting to disperse, Louis got down on all fours and searched for Kayla’s phone. Nobody even bothered to question him at all.

Zayn and Harry led Liam to a bathroom to clean up the bloody wound on the back of his head when Niall came around. “Oi, Annie says to dab that head injury with a warm wet cloth and then bandage it up with an ace bandage.”

Harry spun around. “Is your girlfriend aiming to be a medical doctor or something?!”

Niall only shrugged. “I doubt it.” Harry rolled his eyes while Zayn went to get a wet cloth and an ace bandage.

“We don’t have any,” Zayn said, realizing it.

“Any what?” Liam asked.

“Ace bandage.”

Harry pursed his lips together. “Niall and I can go to the store a couple blocks away and get it, yeah?”

Zayn only nodded. “You want I should come with?”

Harry shook his head. “We’ll be fine, don’t worry.”

“I FOUND IT!”

All heads popped out of their respective doorways to see Louis grinning ear to ear with a light blue, adorned with pink sparkly stars, little flip phone.

“Why did that need finding?” Niall asked. “Whose is that, anyways?”

“Kayla’s,” he quickly answered back, as he flipped it open and began going through her recent text messages, her notes, her alarm clocks, her ringtones, her recorded sounds, but nothing seemed to be of relevance.

By the time he’d gone through most features of her phone, Harry and Niall had gone to the store and come back as well-with the bandage.

As Niall watched Annie show him how exactly to wrap up Liam, though the webcam, Harry suddenly said, “The store clerk told us some important information.”

All heads shot up. “Go on,” Zayn said, both intrigued and interested.

Harry leaned forward. “He said that she’d come in there that same day just after her school ended and bought the rope that she used to hang herself with.”