Chapter 1

Who Killed Ciara?

Chapter 1

Gathering Information

“Hello, who’s calling?”

“Zayn…Zayn it’s Kayla…” the person on the other line of the phone said, her voice hoarse and sniffles were heard.

“Kayla?” he scrunched his eyebrows together. “Kayla, as in…Kayla Nickerson? My best friend’s sister?” he began to get giddy at the thought of Ciara.

“Yeah, best friend,” Kayla retorted, her lip quivering, tears threatening to spill.

Zayn felt rather confused. “Well, yes. I love Ciara!”

Kayla felt pure anger at this statement. “And that’s why you’ve contacted us and talked to her in the two years that you’ve been gone? Since you became famous?”

“You have my number, don’t you?” Zayn spat back. He’d begun to get impatient with Kayla.

“Yeah, you dimwit, I found it in Ciara’s old things, before we boxed them all up,” she hissed back. She immediately regretted it.

How would Ciara have felt, seeing her sister being so terrible to her best friend?

“Boxed them up? Why? Never mind that, give the phone to Ciara! I need to talk to her! She’s never once answered my emails in the past two years, or my phone calls or texts. I even sent snail mail! You know how much it hurt when my best friend wouldn’t talk to me? And on top of it all, I didn’t even know why! So if you please, I’d like to find that out,” he tapped his foot, even though he was on the phone.

Niall and Liam began giving him a few questioning looks, but Zayn simply ignored them, his complete focus on Ciara, and only Ciara.

Kayla’s voice was just barely above a whisper. “I’m sorry Zayn…you can’t.”

“What do you mean, I can’t?!” he bellowed.

“It’s why I called in the first place,” Kayla sucked in a breath. “Ciara…Ciara’s dead.”

The phone slipped and fell from Zayn’s hold, and he stood there in shock, staring off at nothing, responding to nothing.

Niall and Liam rushed in, Liam trying to figure what happened, Niall seeing the phone and answering it.

“Hello?”

“Who’s this?” Kayla asked, quite confused from the abrupt change in speakers.

“Niall, Zayn’s bandmate. What happened? He’s entered some sort of state of shock!” Niall worriedly answered her.

“I’m Kayla. Would you happen to know of a…” Kayla gulped. “Ciara Nickerson?”

“Oh, Ciara! We can’t wait to meet her! Zayn made sure to make a stop near where you live on the tour in two weeks! From what we’ve heard, she’s such a sweet girl! Zayn showed us some pictures too, she’s very pretty,” Niall rambled, not holding in his excitement.

Zayn was obviously still in the room, and poor Niall, not knowing, saying things like that made reality hit him even harder.

He fell to the floor with a loud-

THUD!

“Niall…my name is Kayla Nickerson. And…and Ciara is my sister. She…she’s dead, Niall.”

“Wh-what? How? Why? Who killed her? When?” Niall began rapid firing questions at her.

“Ciara committed suicide,” Kayla’s small voice said, before the line went dead.