Chapter 35 - A Mother's Job

“Alright, Charlie. Let’s get you in your carseat.” I sing to my baby girl, who I just finished dressing in her first ever outfit. She coos up at me and I feel my heart grow just watching her. 

He was right. 

She looks a lot like me. 

Like mother, like daughter. 

Isn’t that how the saying goes? Whatever. 

My hormones are all over the place. 

Yesterday I cried when they mixed up my beverage with peppermint tea rather than water. 

I focus on my baby’s outfit, the cutest pair of overalls with a bear stitched on the front. 

Besides her hospital blanket, it’s the only thing she’s ever worn. 

“Hey. Thought you might need some help.” 

I turn with weary eyes to look at the guest, standing in the doorway, with a hesitant smile on her face. 

“I could use a hug.” I relent, sending her an ironic smile. 

“Aww, come here, little mommy.” she laughs, gathering me in her arms, and squeezing me. “Are you doing okay?”

I try to answer without lying, but also without making her think I’m as big a mess as I really am. 

She sighs. “You’re not, are you?”

I shake my head. “No.”

“Why are you so upset?”

“Why am I so upset? Why am I so upset?” I repeat incredulously. “Because one: I have a baby. I’m a mother, Shelby! A mother!”

“I know.” she says quietly. 

“And Zack lied to me.”

“Why would he tell you he knew his donation was used to create a life?”

“Why shouldn’t he? If it wasn’t for the doctor, I wouldn’t have known and poor Charlie would have been considered that horrible witch’s daughter and not mine.”

“He loves you, Lauren.”

“No, he was using me.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because he kept this secret from me the minute I met him.”