Ch. 8: False Memories

Adrianna makes it to the hospital about 3 hours later with Jacob. Shaia has been assigned a room but is still in surgery. Alex is sitting in the room staring in space. Adrianna can tell that he’s not alright.

Adrianna lays her hand on his shoulder. “She’s gonna be okay.” She reassures him.

Alex nods quietly. “I can leave if ya’ll just want it to be family.” He tells her.

She shakes her head. “As far as I’m concerned you should be here just like us. My mom and dad will be here in an hour or so.” She notifies him.

He simply nods.

The doctor walks in. “I’m Dr. McNeilson. We just finished her surgery. Her arm was fractured but it’s a soft fracture. However her right leg was shattered in the calf area. She suffered a hit to the head when her head crashed into the side of the window. We haven’t seen any critical damage physically but we won’t know for sure until she wakes up out of her coma.” He explained to them.

Adrianna nodded. “When will she wake up?” She asked in concern.

The doctor shrugged. “We’re not sure. It’s up to her really. Everyone’s bodies react to comatose differently. It could be today or tomorrow or months or years.” He gave her the devastating truth.

Alex clasped his hands together. His phone kept ringing. He ignored it. He didn’t want to talk to Cass right then. Shaia’s condition was more important.

“Your girlfriend?” Jacob asked him with a chuckle.

Alex smiled a little. “After tonight I doubt she’ll even talk to me.” He answered.

“Maybe if you answer she will.” Adrianna told him with a sincere smile.

Alex shook his head. “I can’t talk to her right now.” He said honestly.

“And why is that?” Adrianna asked him.

Alex paused for a moment. “Because me and Shaia were in the park together just minutes before her wreck and if Cass knows that she’ll think something is going on between me and Shaia and that’s just not so.”

“Talk to her. You don’t have to go into details but at least let her know what has happened. She’s Shaia’s friend too, she should know.” Adrianna told him as she handed him his phone off of the nightstand.

He looked up and grabbed it. Finally left out into the hallway and called Cass.

“Why haven’t you been answering your phone?” Cass asked him with an attitude.

Alex paused. “Shaia had a bad wreck and she’s in a coma. I’ve been here with her.” He answered honestly.

Cass got silent. “I’m on my way up there, okay?”

“Sure. It’s room 309.” He said and hung up.

Somehow he felt like it wouldn’t be a good idea for Cass to be there. He knew she was her friend too but it could messy. The girl he loves but can’t be with is in the hospital and her new best friend who he’s dating is there too? This could get real messy.

As he walked back in they has brought Shaia in as well. She was laying there like she was in a deep sleep. He wondered what she was dreaming about. He wondered would she wake up soon or would they have to wait a while to be graced with her true presence.

About 30 minutes passed and she was still in a comatose state. Cass had finally made her appearance.

“You must be her twin, Audrey?” Cass asked.