Ch. 1: Wake Up Call

Life seemed to always be in Shaia’s favor. She had the friends, the boys and the looks to match. Being most popular girl in school you would think her life was perfect. There was something missing though, she just didn’t realize it. With only 3 weeks left until graduation she needed to start thinking about a future. High school wasn’t forever and she hadn’t quite grasped that during these four years that she had experienced it. There was something waiting for her beyond those halls and doors. She didn’t know what it was and up until now she hadn’t cared. She always simply worried about the ‘now’ and not ‘what’s to come’.

            “Shaia!” Her mom yells for her to wake up. To her dismay she hears silence from above her. She continues to get breakfast ready for the children.

            “Braxton!” She calls for her younger child.

Braxton comes racing down the stairs. “I smell bacon!” He exclaims.

She giggles and kisses his forehead. “Sit because we’re in a hurry mister.”

“But Adrie and Shaia aren’t down here yet . . .” He fusses.

“Adrianna! Shaia! Get down here!” She yells once more in frustration.

Adrianna comes down with her novel in hand. “I’m here but your other daughter is hogging the bathroom.” She says with a quick attitude.

“What could she possibly be doing in there?” Their mom asks.

“Her makeup, duh!” Braxton says as he laughs.

Adrie sits at the table reading her book, not paying attention to anything that is happening around her.

Shaia finally graces them with her presence after nearly 30 minutes of being captivated in the bathroom. She sits down at the table. “All I want is fruit.” She tells her mom.

Her mom looks at her dumbfounded. “I slaved over this stove and all you want is fruit?” Her mom asks with a slight attitude.

Shaia nods her head. “I’m watching my figure.” She says as she grabs a plate and puts fruit onto it.

Adrianna rolls her eyes. “Queen Bee has to be perfect.” She says with sarcasm.

Their dad finally comes downstairs with his business suit on. “Honey, I wish I could stay and eat but I have to get to the office and set up for the business proposal this morning. Love you!” He says rushing and grabbing toast.

Shaia laughs. “At least I was nice enough to eat something.” She says as she gets up from the table.

Their mom rolls her eyes. “Adrianna, this came in the mail for you sweetie.” She says as she hands her the big envelope.

Adrianna’s eyes widen as she comes to the realization that this is the moment when she finds out if she has been accepted to her favorite university. “Mom! Open it for me, I’m scared!” She exclaims as she sweats bullets.

Shaia snatches the envelope out of her hand. She opens it. “Let me do the honors!” She reads the paper that was enclosed. She stares at Adrianna with sadness. “Too bad . . . for Princeton University, they have to deal with you!” She says and hands her twin the paper.

Adrianna tears up and jumps up and down. She grabs her mom. “This is what we’ve worked so hard for and now it’s a reality!” She says to her mom with excitement.

Her mom stares at her with so much pride. “I’m so proud of you, baby! I always knew you would be successful!” She tells her eldest daughter as her eyes fill with tears.