Ch. 7: Crashed

4 months have passed since Shaia and Alex had spoken to one another since he drove her to Princeton to see Adrianna. He decided that they needed space so that he could attempt to get over her.

*******

As Shaia walked into her History of the Arts class she noticed that Alex was sitting by Cass and it seemed to her that they were being very ‘friendly’ with one another. All she could do was wake. She wasn’t sure if she should sit with them or away from them. All of these months had passed and never once had he sat with Cass and her since the trip to Princeton. Maybe they’re dating now. Maybe he’s over me and decided we could continue our friendship. Where do I sit? She sat beside Cass. “Good morning!” She said lowly to the both of them as she opened her book to the chapter that they were on.

Alex sighed for a moment. “You don’t mind if I sit here do you?” He asked Shaia.

She looked up at him from her seat. “You were there first.” She said with a quick smile and right back to studying her lesson.

Cass looked from him to her. “What happened between ya’ll? Ya’ll were closer and now all of a sudden things are different . . . “ She asked.

“Let it go, Cass!” Shaia told her matter-of-factly.

“Are we ever going to talk about it or are ya’ll going to just not talk for the rest of our college careers? Something happened and ya’ll are either too afraid to lash things out or you’re hiding something from me!” She said with an attitude.

Alex shook his head. “Babe, don’t worry about it. It goes far beyond you I swear!” He said as he kissed her cheek.

Cass blushed as her cheeks became a rosy hint of color. “I like to hear you call me that.” She smiled.

Did he just call her ‘babe’? Where the hell had I been for these past months? How could I not have known that he liked her? Why do I even care? Shaia thought to herself.

“Shaia!!!” Cass exclaimed as she tried to snap her out of her trance. “Shaia?” She called again.

Shaia shook her head. “Huh?” She answered.

“Are you okay?” Cass asked her.

Alex just stared ahead as the teacher walked in.

Shaia could feel her world caving in. She didn’t know why her heart felt like it was breaking every time Cass spoke a word to her. “I’m fine.” She answered as she quickly wiped the tear that had fell upon her cheek as Cass looked away and gave her attention to Alex.

The teacher got started with her lesson. Shaia could barely pay attention because she was so focused on what was occurring right before her eyes. She was ecstatic when their professor dismissed their class. Shaia hurried towards the door after she gathered her belongings.

“Wait, Shaia!” Cass stopped her.

Shaia paused and slowly turned around.

“I didn’t want you to find out about me and Alex like this. I wanted to be the one to tell you. I hope you’re okay with this because if not I can end it. We’ve only been on a few dates; we’re just trying things out.” Cass explained.

Shaia hesitated for a moment. “Keep him! He’s a great guy, you’re a great girl.” She said and walked away. She didn’t lie. Both of them were great people but why did her heart feel needles stabbing her back to back continuously. Maybe because they were both her friends and now they were each other’s. No longer did she have anyone in her corner. She felt alone and that was what she thought she had avoided when she befriended Alex and Cass.