Chapter 1

I opened my eyes to a large, yet unfamiliar chamber. It had windows that stretched from the floor to the roof, with cream curtains, and chairs made of dark oak, with cushions and pillows filled with soft feathers. Though I was in a large four poster bed with cream sheets, and those soft feather pillows, and the same curtains as the windows, though these were open.
I sat up with some difficulty and found I was no longer in my cream dress, but a pale white night gown that was laced loosely, yet still it was comfortable. I got up and walked over to the tall mirror stand, framed in oak as well. -what is it with these people and oak, not to mention all the whites-, I thought with an almost silent chuckle. It fit me perfectly and outlined my curves and small stomach with grace. The gown blended perfectly to my pail skin and long shimmering midnight hair, it hung straight to just below my hips. I ran my fingers through it a couple of times, and marvelled at its softness. -someone must have washed and brushed it-, I thought. I would thank them later. But the thing I missed most of all was my piercing blue eyes, they looked so clear, not dull like they had been for the last couple of years. They were a soft sort of violet-tinted-lapis.
I ran my hands over the soft fabric of the skirt as the large oak doors opened behind me. I didn't have to turn to see that it was a small hunched old women. "Ah, tis good you are awake." she said in a small rattling voice, that I thought a little loud for such a frail form. I watched her move in the reflection of the glass. "Do you feel at all better?" She asked walking over to a large study desk. On the desk was a plater of the most delicious food I had ever seen. When I didn't answer she asked, "Would you like to eat something? It's the Kings finest."
My curiosity overcame me, I turned and asked quizzically, "The King?" My voice raw from lack of use.
"Yes, yes. You're in the east wing of the royal palace. Now will you sit and eat?" She asked, though in a voice that implied it was not a question. So I walked over to the study, sat down and was given a bun of the best bread I had ever layer eyes upon and started to eat. When I had finished that I took a sip of water from the elaborately designed goblet, then when I realised how parched I had become, I drained the whole thing. The women pored me another out of an equally fancy pitcher and I drank that slower. When there was nothing left in the goblet, and she looked satisfied, she introduced her self, "I am Amphillis, the palace phosition."
"I am- I" I tried to think but as soon as I did my head swam, and the world swayed around me.
She gave me a small glass vile with some greenish liquid inside, but when I just stared at is Ampillis said, "Well, drink up." In this elderly annoyed voice, that would have been funny in other circumstances.
I drank it at a rapid pace, so as not to taste the horrid looking solution. She gave me a crooked smile, showing me her yellowing chipped teeth. -Marina-, I thought through the jumble. " My name is Marina." I spoke with uncertainty.
"Good," said Ampillis roughly. "Do you remember anything else?"
"I-I don't..." Then it hit me, it all came at me in a rushing wave, but one rose above all the rest. "Where's Gabriel?" I spoke not unkindly, getting to my feet.
"I'll take you to him." She spoke solemnly as the relief washed throughout my being. I started to race to the door in maddening excitement, but then she asked, "Do you not want to change? What of the king to see you in your night gown?"
I turned, I didn't like it but I knew she was right.