Strangers 🔞

"Shit!" Lily swore, her arm dropping from its attempt to wave the black car down as she held onto the foreign piece of luggage in her hands.

She grumbled and picked at the tag on the zipper, smiling in victory when she found a number attached. She pulled out her phone and dialled the number, sighing in relief when there was a voice on the other end of the line.

"I'm hailing a cab into the city now so I can drop it off." Lily explained, "Oh, yes. I'm staying in a hotel the next street over so that won't be a problem."

She hung up and got in the cab, rattling off the address of the hotel she needed to be dropped at. The drive into the city was busy and tiring and once her feet hit pavement again and fresh, cool air, she sighed in relief.

The sign of the hotel loomed above her and she took out her phone and redialled the number, as she'd be instruced to do, and waited. This time it was a deeper voice that answered the phone.

"Hi! I called before about some luggage that was left at the airport. I'm in the lobby now."

She heard his sigh of relief through the phone, "Wow, that's great! I'll be right down."

Lily sunk down into a plush oversized leather couch and skimmed the book in her hands restlessly, biting her lip and absentmindedly mouthing the words as she read.

"Lily?" She looked up and her lips pursed in surprise, her eyes locked on to the unmistakeable blue greys of Jake Gyllenhaal's.

Then she chuckled, "Of all the people..."

He blushed uncomfortably and she stood up and reached out her hand, "I'm Lily. Rescuer of luggage. It's nice to meet you, Jake."

A genuine smile lifted his lips slightly and he took her hand earnestly, "Nice to meet you, Lily. And thank you! Sorry you had to go out of your way to drop off a strangers luggage."

She shrugged and pressed the book to her chest, "I know I'd appreciate the same courtesy. It's honestly not a problem. My hotel is only a street away."

"Still. The world could do with more people like you." Jake explained and she blushed, "You're very sweet, Jake."

He cleared his throat before his fingers reached out tentatively to tug at the book in her hands, "May I?"

"Oh, of course!" She said with a grin, releasing the book so that he could look it over curiously.

"I've always found Virginia Woolf's words so beautiful. They just have this way about them." He explained then shrugged, "I don't know how to describe it."

"Almost like caramel oozing off her tongue, like slow moving water, it just flows. It's so poetic and complex." Lily expressed eagerly before colour dusted her cheeks and when she looked up at Jake again, his eyes were wandering her frame curiously.

Once he realised he was staring, he smiled guiltily and licked his lips, "Sorry, you're just - you're really beautiful. "

Her face grew hotter and she tugged at the hem of her short dress and leaned in to bump his shoulder, "You're - I think you're really handsome."

He chuckled and handed the book back to her, his fingers lingering on her own for much longer than was necessary before he asked, "Would you - I mean, would you like to grab some lunch with me?"

"Really?" Lily wondered nervously and he nodded, "Yeah, absolutely."

"Sure, yeah. That would be really nice." She replied and he picked up his luggage, "Great! I've just gotta take this up to my room and do a couple of things quickly. Um - wanna come up and leave your luggage here for now?"