15.

They kept Rebecca under supervision for 3 days. Those three days were the toughest three days of her life. Constantly breaking down or thinking about Emmy, it was pure hell. Colby didn't know what to do, he had to keep himself in check in order to keep Rebecca somewhat sane. Even though she made a promise that they would never forget her, sometimes she wished she could. She knew that was bad but the pain she felt was unbearable, never in a million years did she ever think they would lose a child, but here they were, in that exact situation.

When Rebecca was finally able to go home, it took everything in her to act the slightest bit fine around Adalynn. Sure Adalynn knew what had happened and knew how hard it was going to be on Colby and Rebecca, but she was only five and didn't understand much about death and the toll it took on people.

3 weeks later...

Three weeks had passed and things seemed to be somewhat normal. Rebecca would actually get out of bed and out of the house some days. One day though, she tried to get a bit too normal.
"I'll be back in a bit" she called from the front door.
"Where're you heading out to?" Colby asked coming out of the kitchen.
"I'm just gonna go workout a bit" she said and he shook his head.
"You haven't been cleared, and I know you. You'll overdo it and end up hurting yourself" he said.
"Colby I really appreciate all this concern, but really I'm fine. I'm just gonna do some light cardio" she said and started opening the door.

Colby walked over and shut the door before she could walk out.
"Please just stay here, you have a doctors appointment next week. Can't you hold off until then?" He asked and she tried to open the door again.
"No. I'm going" she said and he had finally realized what was happening.

She was trying to do anything to get her mind off of everything. Even if that meant putting her health on the line, just for the the pain to subside. He figured she had been holding in all these emotions and trying to push down the feelings and eventually it was all going to come out, it just happened to be now.

Colby grabbed her hands and she tried to squirm out of his grasp. That was when he picked her up and carried her upstairs to their bedroom, all while she was still trying to squirm out of his grasp.
"Look at me" he said and she shook her head. "Rebecca.." He said again and she shook her head once more. That was when he reached down and cupped her face and lifted it up so her eyes met his.
"I can't take it anymore.." she said quietly and he saw the tears forming in her eyes.
"You can't hold all these feelings in forever, you need to let them out" he said and that was when she truly broke down

He pulled her into his chest and just let her cry. Every single emotion that was stuffed down inside of Rebecca for the last 3 weeks just came pouring out of her and there was nothing Colby could do to stop it.

Adalynn heard her mother crying and went into the room. She squeezed past Colby and jumped up on the bed next to Rebecca. She tightly wrapped her arms around her neck and she felt Rebecca's arms wrap tightly around her.
"Mommy" she said.
"Yes baby" Rebecca said trying to compose herself.
"I don't like seeing you sad" she said and tried to wipe the tears off of Rebecca's face.
"I don't like being sad, it's just really hard right now" she said and Adalynn nodded.
"Is it because of Emmy, because she couldn't stay with us?" She asked and Rebecca picked her up and sat her on her lap.

"Sometimes, people aren't meant to stay on earth. Sometimes it's better if they go to a better place, Emmy is happy, she's not sick, or hurting. And I know she's watching over you right now because I made her promise that she would. Even though she isn't right here with us, she's right here" Rebecca said pointing to Adalynn's heart "and when people leave, it makes people sad. Especially when mommy's have to let go of their little baby's. That's why from now on, we aren't ever going to take a day for granted. We're going to live everyday like it's our last"

"So If Emmy isn't sad, why are you and daddy sad?" Adalynn asked and at this point Colby took over so Rebecca wouldn't have to go any further.

"We're not sad baby, we're grieving. It's really tough on mommy right now because Emmy was in her belly, she was growing inside of her. So mommy had the special connection just like she had with you, and right now, it's just extra hard on her and it will be for a little while, but eventually, things will get back to normal again"

And that's all they could hope for. For things to eventually get better an for life to get back to normal.