Chapter 3 - Using the Useless

Dedicated to JordanMonske - WRITE THOSE WORDS! Check out Death's Stigma!

---

Chapter 3 - Using the Useless

---

A spectral finger brushed against Rena's being, jolting her awake. 

Her hand snatched out for her key reflexively, feeling the touch of another on its surface as she caught the offending hand and clamped down--hard. 

"Ah! Hey, stop it!" 

Rena blinked away the fuzz and dug her nails into the offender's wrist, hoping it was some member of the Order--particularly the Cardinal. 

"If you think," she began, focusing on the details of their face. All she could make out was that she was in some kind of cushy looking waiting room, complete with lounges and various plants. "That you can just take my key while I sleep, then I swear by the nine that I'll--" The words died in Rena's throat. She frowned. "Don't I know you?" 

The man before her had long, blonde hair, some of which was pulled into a ponytail but mostly just fell over his shoulders and the huge, red and gold robe, completely out of control. He pulled his hand free of her grip as she studied him, sucking on his injured skin. 

"You're that Mythic the Order was escorting around today," realised Rena, not quite satisfied with her answer. It felt like she was missing something. "The one in the red carriage." 

He raised an eyebrow at her. "That all you have, Rena?" 

The way he said her name, the lilt on the final syllable, widened her eyes in disbelief.

"Nazine?" she said. 

Nazine gave her a half smile. "Took you long enough." 

Key forgotten, Rena threw her arms around him and almost fell over as the world spun around her. 

"It's okay, Cayden. She's not a threat." Nazine steadied her and returned Rena's hug with a laugh. "To anyone but herself, maybe." 

"I think that chaotic hit me harder than I thought," murmured Rena as she pulled away. She held a hand to her head, taking note of the shadowy dark haired figure in the corner watching their every move. "I still don't feel right."

"That," said Nazine. "Is because the chaotic you had a run in with earlier drained most of the ley from your key, and I was in the middle of giving you an infusion when you decided to try and rip my wrist off."

Rena noticed the container glowing white on the floor beside Nazine and folded her arms. "I don't need a damned hand-out from the Order, thank you very much. I'll get more ley on my own." 

Nazine scratched his head. "Actually, this isn't a, um, 'hand out from the Order' as you put it. It's Cayden's personal ley vessel. He was concerned that you hadn't woken yet and asked me to see if I could do something about it." 

The shadowy figure pushed himself off the wall and took a step forward. "I was concerned the Order had forgotten about her. If it'd been you drained by the chaotic, they'd have had it to you before we left the sanctuary." 

Rena leaned back in the chair. "But the thing is--what was your name? Cayden?--I'm not their precious phoenix Mythic. I'm just some girl they don't have a use for, but can't disown, for fear of the image it'll present to the rest of the population." She tossed her head, sending strands of ebony hair stray across her face. "Like I said. I don't need their hand outs, or yours."

Nazine rocked back on his heels, pursing his lips like he knew exactly what was going to happen next and was removing himself from the line of fire.