Chapter 23 - Addict - Part II

When Rena stepped inside Cayden's grapple range and he remained still, she wondered if she'd overreacted. 

He's stronger than most people, mentally and physically. Maybe I underestimated him. 

It gave her a little confidence as she pulled her kitsune ley to the surface and inhaled the sweet scent of the energy around her. She found Cayden's quickly, and standing before him, she wasted no time drinking it in. 

She lost herself in the high, shivering with delight as it washed over her. It was a struggle to keep her own body still, apart from Cayden's. She wasn't one of the psychic fae or dae. She was a kitsunes, and kitsunes delighted in the energy just as much as they did the physical touch of their prey. 

That thought sobered her.  Cayden wasn't prey. 

She opened her eyes as another shiver ran down her arm to find Cayden's fingers leading the trail, his feet shuffled towards hers in the dirt as his head stretched out to close the distance between them. 

The sight was enough for her to know she'd been right. 

"I was right," Rena whispered. "You're addicted." 

Cayden looked at her, confused for a moment. His eyes trailed down his arm, finding his fingers caressing her skin. One second of lingering contact remained before Cayden snatched his hand away like Rena was hot coals. 

"I..."

He looked to his hand. He looked to her. He backed up to the edge of camp and spared a glance for Nazine. 

"I need to think," he said. "Or... or something." Cayden's figure became an outline among the darkness. "Watch Nazine. I'll be back." 

*+*+*+*

It took him nearly an hour to return. 

Rena watched the stars above as she waited, pointing them out to Nazine even if he wasn't conscious right now. She just needed someone to talk to about insignificant things, like which star had appeared first and why. Were there other Mythics out in that dark expanse of sky, Mythics like her with bigger problems than a dying phoenix and his addicted guard? 

She shook her head. More than likely. 

Eventually the sound of Cayden's boots pricked her ears. She held the rest of her body still, centered on the fire she'd built the traditional way--with sticks and leaves. She'd wanted busywork, and when she'd finished that, Rena had been more than happy to watch the embers grow into flames without further encouragement. 

Cayden's boots carried him to Nazine first, the sound of rustling fabric as Cayden rolled him over. When he stood again, he hesitated. Rena didn't dare breathe. She stared into the fire, pretending she didn't care what he did next, which, after a few painful minutes, was to sit beside her at the fire. 

From the corner of her gaze, she watched him settle. Legs crossed, elbows on knees, weight forward so he leaned towards the fire. He fidgeted, always changing little things about his position until he gave up with a sigh. 

"Not a ley fire, eh?" he asked at last. 

"I just wanted to watch it," said Rena. "Figured wasting the ley wasn't worth it, and it'll keep that spectre away. Anyone else is welcome to try their luck at this point." 

"Fair," said Cayden. 

Another eternity of silence stretched out the conversation. 

Rena refused to be the one to bring it up. She held her breath until he asked.