Chapter 26 - In a Daze

In Rena's absence, Cayden built a fire beside Nazine, hoping the fire would instill something in his Mythic's body. 

Never had he felt this helpless. 

He'd trained for so many years to become a ley guard, and for what? To end up addicted to the ley of an Unbound kitsune still figuring out her abilities about to turn feral, while his own Mythic slowly starved? His classes had covered kidnapping, almost every kind of Mythic and their abilities, damaged keys, various groups, geography and a few thousand other things and nothing even came close to preparing him for the situation he found himself in. 

Except outdoorsmanship, he thought as he tossed another stick into the growing fire. Good job, Cayden, you can make a campfire. 

He fulfilled his original plan of making lunch eventually. Nazine remained unresponsive. Another hour or two passed. Cayden shifted around Nazine a few times before the fire began to die, at which point Cayden went searching for additional firewood. There was a promising cluster of trees not too far away, but he didn't dare let Nazine leave his direct sight. 

It bothered him just how much Rena had given up to make sure Cayden's mission didn't fail. In the larger picture, it made sense. There was no other choice, given the events leading up to these points. But when you focused on the individuals that made that picture up, it was Rena who'd given up her key. Rena who was willingly going back to Leristith, the place where Elijah was now based. The dishonourable coward who'd convinced a fourteen year old girl to fear her Mythic. 

If we'd just been able to stop the attack that first night. We'd be at Leristith already. Nazine and the portals would be safe. 

But if's didn't help. And as the fire burned low, Cayden's spirits sank with it. There was only a few more hours of daylight, and he wasn't looking forward to the fireless night. He hadn't realised, once again, how much he'd started relying on Rena for the fires, but if it meant she succeeded in finding the hotspot, he'd endure a thousand fireless nights. By the horns of a dae, he'd endure a million if she just returned safely--hotspot or no.

A groan from Nazine pulled Cayden out of it. 

The phoenix was glowing. His skin was vibrant and his eyes were alert and clear. Despite being dirty and looking more like a street kid that'd stolen a noble's robe than a Mythic, Nazine looked stronger than he had in weeks. Even when Rena had fed him he hadn't been like this. This was new. 

"Nazine?" asked Cayden. Had Rena reached the hotspot? Is that what this was? 

"Think you can get that fire going a bit more?" said Nazine in reply. 

Cayden grabbed the food and started preparing a double helping. "Firewood's too far away, and I can't leave you. Here, take--"

"I'll do it then." Nazine stretched out his arms, pulling back the long sleeves of his robe and flexed his fingers. A spark caught on his fingers. A confused expression crossed his face, the determination draining as his hands went back to rest in the lap of his crossed legs. 

"Nazine?" asked Cayden. "Everything okay?" 

"I can't," was all Nazine said. 

"You can't make fire?" asked Cayden. 

"No," said Nazine. "I can make fire, but I can't." 

Cayden put it down to the babble of extended unconsciousness and a damaged key and handed the phoenix his food. Nazine just stared at it. 

"Eat it," said Cayden. "All of it, or I'll put it down your throat."

Nazine obliged without a word, his face still in that same, dazed expression after he'd tried to make fire.