Chapter 6: The Slenderman

My eyes fluttered open. A thick smell of burning wood and pine filled my nostril. It smelled of fall. I was covered in a soft blanket and I was lying on a large bed and my head was buried in a big pillow. I tried to sit up but a shot of pain went up my leg. Instead I looked around what I could see of the room.

The walls were made entirely of wood. You could see the grain in the walls of wood and could smell the forest ingrained into them. The only light in the room was coming from the fire in the corner. I tried again to sit up.

I leaned my back against the wall and looked around the room. It seemed to be just one large room. There was a dining table in front of the fireplace and on the other side of the room and matching couches. Behind the couches were large curtains covering about half of the wall. I saw two doors, one clear across the room and one around the small corner where the bed was secluded.

I winced as my leg began to hurt. For now it was just a dull throbbing pain but I knew it was going to progress. I lifted the blanket off of my leg. I lifted up my pant leg to see how my leg was. My leg was wrapped in green leaves and tied together with a thin vine. I reached to take the leaves off when I heard a noise at the end of the room.

At the other end of the room a door opened. I quickly lied back down facing away from the door, sending a stab of pain up my leg. I bit my tongue and put the soft blanket over myself. The door closed and footsteps approached.

I closed my eyes and deepened my breaths. I was actually starting to get tired again. But my heartbeat quickened as the bed creaked with the weight of someone sitting on it. A hand tenderly patted my head. “When will you wake?” A familiar voice said.

The bed creaked again. The blanket was lifted off of my foot and a hand touched my injured leg. Whoever it was did it to hard because a jarring pain was sent up my leg. “Ow!” I yelled, quickly sitting up in bed. I gasped when I saw who was sitting at the edge of the bed.

It was he, the Slenderman. Sitting right in front of me was the creature everyone in my county was afraid of, fear of him running through his or her veins. “Slenderman.” I said quietly. He bowed his head in a nod. “That is my name,” said a male voice. “I…you…” I stuttered.

“Don’t be afraid.” Said the male voice, for some reason I thought I was hearing it in my mind. It took me a few moments until I realized I was. “Please don’t hurt me.” I said.

He ignored me and began to pull up the edge of my pants. I tried to pull my leg away but he grabbed my knee tightly. “Please do not resist.” He pushed the edge of my pant leg up to my knee. When I had looked at the leaves earlier I didn’t inspect them thoroughly.

The edges were browning in a strange reddish color. The veins of the vibrant green leaves were also a strange red color. I watched the Slenderman carefully as he untied the vine and began peeling the leaves off.

Images began flashing in my mind of the first time I met him. He still looked exactly the same in height, stature and clothing. The shadows under his cheekbones were more pronounced. He was still the same snow white pale as before.

Slenderman began replacing the browning leaves with healthier looking ones. “What…” I began. “I’m replacing your leaves. These are healing your wound. I hope that this is your last change.” He said simply.

I shook my head in confusion. “But why?” I asked. “I’ll tell you soon.” He stood up and reached out his hand. “Come.” He said calmly. I just looked at him with a skeptical look. “I want to see how well you walk. Just for now.” I crossed my arms.

“That’s fine. Maybe later.” Slenderman turned around and began to walk away. As he moved toward the door he had to gradually duck because he was too tall. I suddenly smiled.

“I’ll be back soon.” He said, slightly turning to face me. “Stay still, please.” He slowly walked out of the door, shutting it carefully behind him. It was quiet except for the crackling of the fire.

I took a shuddering breath and pulled the blankets tighter around my shoulders. I carefully swung my legs over the bed, wincing at the pain that pounded in my leg. My bare feet touched the cold bamboo floor.

I glanced around the bed for my boots. I got down on my knees and reached under the bed. The tips of my fingers touched my boots. I couldn’t get them out since they were too far under the bed.

I struggled to get to my feet. I wobbled on my good foot, bracing myself with the edge of the bed. I limped slowly toward the door the Slenderman had exited out of.

I took a glance at the fireplace and suddenly stopped. I wanted to leave this place, leave this strange cabin in the woods, but I didn’t want to go back home. I heard myself sniff and began to walk carefully towards the fireplace. It seemed strangely inviting.

I crawled under the dining table under beside the fireplace. I covered my head with the blanket and carefully hugged my legs close to my chest.

No, I wouldn’t leave. I’ve finally found him. I’ve found the Slenderman. After so long I’ve come so close. And I won’t go back home. I just can’t. They’ll take me away, far away where I’m not close to my forest. I can’t have that happen.

I’ll stay for now. Just until my leg gets better, after that I’ll…I don’t know. I really don’t.

I heard the quiet creak of the door open. Ignoring it, I pulled the blanket tighter around my shoulder. My leg tinged in pain and I bit my lip softly to forget about it.

The door shut and footsteps slowly walked around the cabin. I laid my head against the leg of the table and sighed quietly. The footsteps continued to get closer. I almost jumped when slim legs were suddenly in front of me.

The Slenderman leaned against the table, his hands in his pant pockets. I leaned my head out from under the table to watch him. He slowly turned his head to me. “Did you get cold?” He said. I nodded slowly. “I’ll make an adjustment.” He said more to himself than to me.

He slowly got to one knee and looked under the table at me. “Come out. It’s all right.” I slowly shook my head. “Please.” I hugged my legs tighter. He sighed and turned his head to look at the fire. When he turned back there was something different about the shadows on his face. “That’s fine.” He got back up and walked away.

I waited for a few moments. After that I decided to come out. I braced myself so I could get up and not hurt myself. Suddenly Slenderman appeared next to me. “Let me help you.” He said. His hand gently wrapped around my arm and pulled me up. I looked up at his face. How horrible, I thought, it must be to live without eyes, nose, ears, or a mouth.

I quickly looked away and pulled my arm away from his grip. I limped away, to the couches that were by the silk wall. I sat down with a wince. When I looked up at Slenderman he was standing in front of the fire, staring at me.

“Why haven’t you killed me yet?” I asked him. He looked down at the ground, almost sadly. “I have my reasons. I can’t explain them now.” He said simply. His head came back up and I turned mine away.

It was quiet. Not even the crackling of the fire was audible. I moved my gaze back to the fire but Slenderman wasn’t standing there anymore. “Why not?” I asked aloud. “It’s not the time.” His voice said in my head.

I jumped when I looked to my right and saw Slenderman sitting next to me. I quickly stood up, sending pain up my leg and began to walk backwards toward the bed. “I won’t hurt you…”

“…Anita.”

I stopped.

He remembered me.