Chapter 26: A Boring Day

Literally a boring ass day. But I thought I should include it for the story's sake. But don't fret gumdrops, I'll have the next chapter out in no time!

I woke up in a cold sweat. Always waking up, my heart drumming in my ears and out of breath. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and kicked the blanket away with my feet. I groaned as I leaned over the bed and searched blindly for my slippers.

“What are you looking for?” said a voice. It surprised me so much that I feel off the bed on my head and somersaulted onto my back. “Are you okay?” Jeff said above me. I sighed. “What are you still doing here?”

“You said I could stay. So I am.” He grabbed my hand and lifted me up with ease. I rubbed my shoulder as I sat on the ground and he slumped back down onto the couch. “So, what do you want to do today?” He asked.

“You’re asking me? I mostly sit around all day, either inside or outside.” He sighed. “Just tell me what you want to do. I came here to take care of you, but not die of boredom.”

“Will if I’m so boring then why don’t you just leave?” He sighed, heavier this time, and got up form his seat. “I’m not going to leave. Come on, let’s go do something fun.” I crossed my arms. “Like what?”

He shrugged. I think he might have been smiling under the cloak of his hood. “Like making breakfast.” He said.

~

We had all the ingredients out, like flour, eggs, and milk: the good stuff. I didn’t think that Jeff would come up with the idea of making pancakes. I wasn’t that hungry but maybe he was.

“Um…Jeff?” I asked him, looking through the cabinets for a bowl. “Yes?” He said behind me. “I was wondering…where exactly do you live? Is it in the forest?” He was silent and for a second I thought he didn’t hear me.

“I do live in the forest. Not in a cabin like this, somewhere much prettier with my friends, but not anymore. I’m not welcome there anymore.” I got up with the bowl in my hand and looked at him. “Why not?”

He shrugged. “I did some things.” He snorted and went to lean himself against the island. “Well, we have all the ingredients. Are we going to make some pancakes or not?” He said.

I gave him a small smile. “Sure, let’s get started.”

~

I learned a little about Jeff. I asked him why he would want to take care of me, but all he said that the forest was a dangerous place and that I shouldn’t be alone.

He knew about the Slenderman. He knew that I lived with him. But he didn’t say anything about it. He acknowledged it but didn’t say anything. He said he needed to protect me, but I didn’t know what he was trying to protect me from. Wouldn’t it be rational that he would want me to be away from Slenderman? Since he was a monster, as Jeff said before.

I didn’t understand. But I let Jeff stay, and we made pancakes.

Jeff laughed at me. I was so mad at him. He just pointed, held his stomach and laughed. He had a normal enough laugh, just like any other teenage boy, but it irritated me so much. “Shut up!” I yelled at him.

“What? You look hilarious.” He tried to not laugh but I could hear him chuckling. “Well, it’s your fault!” While Jeff was helping with the pancakes, for some reason he took a handful of flour and threw it at my face. I was infuriated.

I sighed. “Just make sure the pancakes don’t burn!” I wiped my hand across my forehead but it only made it worse. Jeff was still laughing quietly to himself. “Oh, it’s so funny isn’t it?” I put my hand in the flour and tapped him on the shoulder.

“Yeah it…” When he turned around I threw the flour at his face. He staggered back with a hand to his face. “What the hell?” He said. I rubbed my hands on my jeans. “That ought to teach you!”

He grabbed a dishtowel from the counter and went to the faucet. “You’re going to regret that, Anita.” He held the towel up to his face. “Well…now you know how I feel.”

He stormed off, throwing the dishtowel onto the counter. I sighed. I didn’t know why he was so mad. He had thrown flour at me. I just didn’t understand him. I didn’t understand anything about him.

He was a stranger to me.

~

Jeff’s POV

I only had to take care of her until the Slenderman returned. She wasn’t that hard to care for. But she was getting on my nerves. Soon, I told myself, she’ll trust me. Soon enough it’ll all fall into place. I’ll destroy the Slenderman, with the help from Anita.

Psst!! You! Comment and Vote and stuff like that. I appreciate it! Thanks!