Chapter 2: Dear Friend...

I was looking longingly at the forest. The wind shook the extra rain from the small amount of leaves the trees still had. I slid off the hood of my jacket from my head and let the rain fall down the back of my neck.

It has been exactly twelve years since my first encounter with Slenderman. I’ve always tried to forget this day, but no matter how much I tried, for the past twelve years I have been coming outside to sit on this fence and look out at the forest.

I soon got tired of sitting and got off. I hopped off, landing on the side closest to the forest. I leaned back and continued to gaze into it. A second strike of thunder followed by lighting startled me. I wouldn’t go inside yet. It wasn’t time yet.

Something fell in front of me. I kneeled down and picked up the red ball I dropped a second ago. I turned it around and around until I found what I was looking for.

When Slenderman returned the ball to me, at first I thought he was going to attack us. But he dropped the ball into my hands and ran into the deep part of the woods. Except it was different. On the ball, scrawled in black pen, was the sign of Slenderman. It was an open circle with a large X through it.

I never once thought of taking it off.

The rain got heavier and the thunder louder, the lightning brighter. I shook with fear. But I couldn’t leave just yet. I could hear the forest whispering my name, enticing me closer.

My feet moved slowly toward the forest. Each step was slow and steady. I gripped the ball tighter in my hands. My breath was shuddering and clouded in front of me.

I jumped when I heard someone call my name. I automatically turned around and began climbing the fence. I already knew what my mom was going to say. I’ve been hearing it all my life. And not just on these days either.

“Anita, what do you think your doing? Were you about to go into the forest?” My mother said to me from the door. “No, mother.” I said in a bored sounding voice. “You better have not. My…you’re soaking wet!” Her tone of voice suddenly changed.

“I’ll find you some dry clothes.” She quickly walked up the stairs. “Stay in the kitchen!” She said from the second floor. I sighed.

Through the large glass doors that led to the backyard I watched the forest. It was raining harder and the thunder louder. I suddenly shivered from the cold. “Mom!” I called. “Coming...coming!” She said, stepping down the stairs.

She led me over to the sink and began wringing my hair. She wrapped me in a bath towel and my hair in another. “Alright, go upstairs and get changed. I’ll make you something warm. And honestly, what is a seventeen year old like you doing outside all alone? And by the forest! Your father and I are going to have a talk with you when he gets home.”

“I wasn’t going to in.” I mumbled. “Sure, leave your stories for later.” Still, she looked at me sadly and kissed my cheek.

~

After I was finally dry with my new clothes and warm with the pumpkin latte my mom made, I sat alone in my room. Never, for the past few years, has anyone else come into my room. There were things here that people didn’t need to see. It was private, it was all for me.

On my walls I had posters of bands and witty quotes, like any other teenager would. It was mostly rock bands and sad things, but I had a few of my favorite video games and state, New York. New York had beautiful forests like the one I lived by.

By now, the rain had calmed down and the clouds were loosing their gray color. But it was still dark out and cold, especially. So, I sat by my large window, looking out into the forbidden forests.

I looked down at the notebook in my hand. The picture of Slenderman I was drawing was pretty good. It was he, holding my red ball in his hands. I have drawn many pictures of Slenderman. I have them taped up all around my room.

I don’t want to call it an obsession.

On the inside of my wrist, I could see the symbol of Slenderman. I secretly had it tattooed there. I hid it with make-up and would never tell anyone.

The doorbell rang downstairs. I knew my mother was going to open it. She would always race me. I heard her talking with whoever it was and tired to hear what they were saying. My mom could be loud sometimes.

“Hello!” Someone called from downstairs. I smiled as I recognized the voice. “Goodbye!” I called back. Soon, I heard knocking on my door. “Come in Matt.” I said to the door. He was the only one that was allowed inside.

The door opened a notch and he popped his head in. “Heard you got caught in the rain.” “And you didn’t?” “No.” He walked inside and closed the door behind himself. He walked up to me and looked over my shoulder. “What are you drawing BF?” I closed the notebook. “Later.” He shrugged and plopped himself on my bed.

“You said you were going to come to the mall with me.” He said. “I know.” “And?” He reach down and began to dig under my bed. “Well, if you want to leave right now, we could go. My mom will be okay with it.” Matt pulled out a bicycle helmet and set it on his stomach.

“Thanks for letting me leave this here, best friend.” “Sure. So…are we leaving?” “Aren’t you forgetting something?” I shook my head. “Fine.” He turned over and buried his head in my pillow.

I picked up my ball and threw it at him. It hit his back but he didn’t move. “Matt?” “No.” He said quietly. I smiled.

I walked over to the bed and poked his shoulder. “Come on. Matt!” He just hugged the helmet to his chest. I sighed. Then jumped onto him. “Happy Birthday!” I screamed.

He started laughing. “I thought you forgot.” “What? How would I?” “I guess.” He said chuckling. “Hey, get off.” I pushed him off the bed. “All right, let’s get going then.”

“Quickly though. I don’t want to be lectured.” I said quietly. He sighed. “You were going to go into the forest, weren’t you Anita?” I shrugged my shoulders. “I’ve told you a million times. You…” “Can’t go into the forest, its dangerous. Yeah, I might have heard it once or twice.” I interrupted.

I jumped the last few steps to the bottom floor and dashed toward the door. “Anita!” He said. Ignoring him, I opened the front door and went outside.

I walked down the cobblestone path and at the edge of the fence that surrounded our house continued forward. Matt came up behind me and gripped my arm tightly. “Where are you going?” He said, his voice gruff. “Your car, where else, genius?” He gently let go of my arm.

“I haven’t been to the mall in forever.” He said with a sad smile.