OC Advice

Readers, please give our team member a warm welcome

Readers, please give our team member a warm welcome. They will be in charge of our OC Advice column. Thank you so much for your contribution, Lintang1806!

Want to help them out? Apply now and get a collaboration formed!

MAKING YOUR OC

Making an OC is a long and hard job. They need to be human, but at the same time unique. They need to be eccentric, but at the same time relatable.

Am I making sense? I surely hope so.

Who again?

We all want our readers to remember our OC, right?

Why am I asking this? Of course we do.

To help forgetful readers (like me) to remember your OC, give your character at least one feature to help them stand out. It makes people remember your OC faster.

Look at Lego boy, we all remember him, right? –

And since this is the anime world of quirks and unrealistic hair, give them hell.

Think of a color scheme that represents your character. It doesn't need to match their personality, and it would be even more interesting if the colors didn't represent your OC's personality at all.

Try making a powerful teenager who always wears pastels. Top it off with a scary quirk like Shigaraki's and voila.

If you aren't really good at picking colors, then you can rely on a mutant type quirk. Mutant type quirks like Tsuyu's and Tokoyami's stand out. You can change certain body parts with an everyday object or animal. It gives you more choices because there are countless objects wherever you look.

Oh, and no more Neko quirks, please. Waving your cute, fluffy tail in the middle of a violent fight is so useful.

Bring them to life

Don't let your OC have a boring life that only revolves around wooing Todoroki or kissing Bakugou or killing Mineta. Give them a hobby. Give them a talent besides fighting villains. Give them a personality. Let them have a part-time job, it could add to the plot.

Hairdo and don'ts

Give me a break. I don't have anywhere else to dump my puns.

Oh, don't get me wrong, honey. Like I said, building your OC is a hard and long job. Even your OC's hairstyle impacts your story.

Troublesome? Yes, I know. But this is a part of making your OC realistic, so keep reading.

The possibilities of hairstyles range, depending on your OC's fighting style (assuming she attends the department of heroes, of course). I'll be focusing on female OC hair since boys don't really have hair that can reach their feet.

Shall we?

Everyone has their own fighting range. A fighting range means how far or close does your character need to be in order to fight properly.

In 1-A, Tsuyu excels in both far and close combat, Uraraka's quirk works at a short-range, and Jirou has a medium range.

If your OC regularly fights with hand to hand combat, I suggest that you don't give her waist-long hair and especially not hair that reaches her goddamn feet.

I'm looking at this from real life (*cough* P.E. *cough*). Even after cutting my hair above my shoulders, my hair still gets in my mouth or eyes when I move too much. I'm not giving myself a Mohawk, thank you very much.

You could give your OC a hair tie to help that problem (like how Yaoyorozu does), but things aren't quite safe yet.

Imagine this. Your OC is being chased by this super scary villain. She's running down an alleyway. Just before she could escape the villain, her beautiful silky hair gets yanked. Or caught onto something, you have your pick.

You probably know what happens next. Bye-bye, Miss OC.

Ahem. So unless you want to write good angst, then I advise you cut your OC's hair – specifically if they're clumsy. But if your OC is quite talented and fast, fatal stuff like these could be prevented.

Things aren't that dark for long-range fighters, and luckily most OC's around here are far ranged. You could give your OC waist-long hair in this case, but to be honest I haven't found a single OC with short hair. Girls with pixie cuts exist, you know.

Da Quirk

Our most crucial element.

No one wants to change their character's quirk halfway through the story. We're too lazy (admit it –), so choose wisely, my friends.

Pick a quirk that you're comfortable writing with – at least do some research so you have a clear view of what your OC is capable of. There are a lot of shows like Avatar the Last Airbender and superhero comics to use as references.

By comfortable, this doesn't mean to give your OC multiple quirks at once or a quirk that was probably inherited from fucking Zeus. Unless your OC is a Nomu, then your character can't sprout multiple quirks. The only people with multiple quirks so far are the nine users of One For All, All For One, and the Nomu.

Before you come at me, Todoroki's quirk is Half Cold Half Hot. It is a merge of two quirks – meaning that Todoroki only has one quirk. This is something that could be argued about, but we aren't focusing on that at the moment.

Let's just say maybe Todoroki does have two quirks. He only has two, let alone 5 quirks.

If you think that your character's quirk needs a little boost, give them a weapon. But never forget to do your research. We don't want your 5 feet OC to hurl a heavy ass sword as if it's a pencil. Unless they have a weight manipulation quirk, then go wild.

PICKING A WEAPON

This is completely optional. Not everyone can come up with fighting scenes with weapons.

Since OC's in this fandom are usually around 16, it's still logical for them to be able to use a weapon (Assuming that your character has undergone training and didn't just master the katana out of the blue). Talented is talented, but absolutely no one in this universe is able to do that.

And if your OC is really good at using one weapon, don't just give ten more.

Aizawa needed to train with his capturing weapon for SIX YEARS in order to master it. That's just one weapon.

Let's get back to how to pick a weapon. Remember that you need a weapon to cover up the weaknesses of the user's quirk.

Ask yourself, what do you need the weapon for?

1) Do you need a hand-to-hand weapon or a weapon that can catch villains/heroes from afar?

2) Is it for defense or offense?

3) Is your OC better off with something blunt like a mace or something sharp like a sword?

And a fact we all tend to overlook.

4) Is your OC actually able to lift the weapon?

Yes, not all girls are weak as heck. But would it really make sense for a 16-year-old girl to be flinging a club over their head?

I think not.    

Thank you so much for reading the OC Advice column, and remember to bring death to the Mary Sues!