Son of the Moon | 04

I woke up with the chills. Not the cold chills- the scared shitless chills.

After crashing on my friend's couch for the night, I couldn't help but notice the hairs on my neck stand up- along with the rising goosebumps all over my body. I half expected there to be an eerie silence to fill the house, but the silence was filled with noises of the house shifting and the air conditioning turning on and off which actually made it creepier. Each sound I heard made my wild imagination go crazy, causing me to think of 100 different ways to protect myself if a murderer walked in.

I grabbed my phone for light as I attempted to walk upstairs to Abby's bedroom. I felt bad for having to wake her up, but not bad enough that I wouldn't. Her small condo gave me the heebie jeebiez.

Clicking the home button on my phone making the screen turn on and illuminate the room, I slowly inched up the stairs. This was getting beyond creepy, I really should have taken those self defense classes.

"Abby," I whispered. She didn't wake up so I resorted to other plans. Hurling myself on the bed, I got a satisfying- yet scary reaction from her. After being cursed at and kicked a couple times I calmed her down. "Abby, I can't get to sleep, your house is haunted or something."

"Jennings, it isn't haunted, just go back to sleep," she grumbled.

"I know," I dragged on, "I just can't please can you get up with me. It's not to early," I told her after looking at the clock beside her bed.

"Jennings," she growled, "It's 4 in the morning."

"Yeah, two hours early isn't that bad. Come on, Abbers," I pleaded. There was no way she could deny the puppy eyes.

She huffed and climbed out of bed at the speed of a sloth. I thanked her and walked downstairs with her.

Stealthily turning on every light I could find, the house was illuminated with the cheap yellow bulbs Abby bought when she first claimed this residence.

"So," she said tapping her fingers to a rhythmic bear on the wooden counter tops. "What's on your mind?" She said with a look that was determined to get the answer she wanted.

"I don't know." I rubbed my bare arms and grabbed a throw blanket around my shoulders, turning back to her. "I guess there was this guy."

She clucked her tongue and jumped on the counter. "Details, details," she asked and propped her chin on her hand for support.

"Not much to really say," I told her as I heard a crack of thunder in the distance and the soft sound of rain pelting at the windows. "I guess we met and had lunch and may or may not of gone on a mini date together."

"So tell me about him," she encouraged.

"Well he's cute. I mean mega cute. Like brown-eyes-so-cute-I-could-just-melt cute."

"Jens, although that sounds intriguing; you know how you and so called 'players' last. Remember Mathew? Or Tyson?" She asked, bringing up memories that had been buried in my mind since high school.

She raised her eyebrows as to prove her point.

But all I could think about was him. My throat swelled up at the thought if the two us in that cave. But she was right, she was always right when it came to things like this- he was probably out with another girl as I was pathetically thinking about him in 4 in the morning.

"I'm going to take a shower. Make sure to tell me if lightning strikes the house," she joked and went up the stairs.

"Will do," I muttered under my breath.

All of a sudden the doorbell range and my heart stopped. I'm not one to believe that robbers would ring the doorbell, but nothing good could be behind that door.

Abby,' I shouted upstairs, but my voice was probably overtaken by the sound of water.

I decided to make a bold move and slowly opened the thick wooden door and hid behind it- with only a screen door separating me and whoever was being the door.

"Jennings?" A voice croaked out. My spine shivered and my breath hitched.

"Anthro," I said wide eyed and surprised. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep without making sure you were okay."

wow this is really short and really crappy:/// but thank you so much for nearly 2k reads and 90 votes!!! on the side or above is who I imagine Jennings to look like:)