☾Son of the Moon | Prologue☽

Hey guys So this is my first story that I've ever actually tried to write. I've tried before, but it was just one failed attempt after another. For all of you grammar nazis out there, it's your time to shine! Please tell me if I have any grammar, spelling, or any other kind of mistakes. Criticism is a good thing, I'm sure it would help me become better as a beginning author. Any suggestions or ideas or if you just want to say hi, just please comment!

ENJOY COMMENT VOTE FAN

thanks so much, aprilwriter

"Pass the salt, please," mom paused, "Jennings!"

"What?" I said sitting on my phone.

"Pass the salt."

"Mom, you know how bad this stuff is for you," I laughed, passing the salt. "You're going to have diabetes at forty-five."

"Oh hush," She said blushing. "You're making me regret having kids, you know that right?"

I laughed, "But you love me anyways."

"I suppose," She sighed.

Silence filled the air, once again. The tension in the room could literally be cut with a knife.

"How are your studies going?" She asked. She didnt exactly agree with me when I told her what I was going to be majoring. Hence, the awkward tension at our lonely thanksgiving dinner

"They're going great. The teacher isn't what I'd call excited about teaching, though"

She bit into her turkey, "I don't think you can be excited about moon mythology. It's just a rock with some fake stories."

One

"There is way more to it than that," I told her. "Understanding what stories comes behind it will make it easier to follow the patterns of the moon. It's very interesting what the people before us thought of this so called rock, which by the way is the moon."

"Well, yes." She replied, pushing her hair back. "It's just, what kind of jobs can you get that pay above minimum wage." She sighed, "I just don't want you throwing your life away because of some silly bedtime stories your grandfather told you. Do you know what your friends would think of you when you're thirty and living with me, because you can't find a job?"

Two

"I'll find a job, Paula," I told her. "You just don't see the value in learning about the moon. So when I'm becoming rich because my calculations were right, you can bet I won't be coming to you." After I said it, I could feel her bitterness consuming me. She was pissed. Beyond pissed

She stood up and threw her napkin on the plate. "Don't call me Paula! I'm your mother, show me some damn respect."

Three

"I'm your daughter! Show me some damn respect," I yelled at her equally loud. "You cry every single night wondering why dad left you for a guy, when it's perfectly obvious. He didn't want some control freak ruining his life and judging him for what he believes in," I told her.

Telling her what I've wanted to yell at her face wasn't as pleasing as I thought it would be. I thought it would make her understand what hell she put me through while pointing out how Melissa was becoming a doctor, or How Katie was going to law school.

But all I got was silence.

"Jennings, I think you should leave now," she whispered, not daring to make eye contact with me.

"Mom," I said, reaching my hand out for her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." She didn't let me touch her. "Okay, I'll go to my room."

"No," she said.