Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“ZACH!” Maddie yelled running over to her older brother who was paying the cab driver before dropping his bags and leaning down with his arms wide open.

“MADDIE!!” Maddie jumped into his arms as Zach held onto her tightly.

Cadence heard yelling and looked out her window seeing Zach hugging Maddie as a huge smile took over her face, she grabbed a pillow smacking Kayla on the head causing her to shoot out of bed while Cadence made her way downstairs and outside.

She stopped dead in her tracks when Zach looked at her releasing Maddie from his grip and standing up straight “Candy” Zach said with a smile opening his arms as Cadence smiled wide and ran to her brother as he lifted her off the ground hugging her tightly.

“It’s so good to have you home Zach” Cadence said making Zach smile.

“It’s good to be back” he replied as he kissed the side of Cadence’s head.

Zach placed her down and she helped him with his bag, “Come on, mom made a special breakfast and Kayla is here too.”

“Oo Kayla, is she hot now?” Zach teased making Cadence smack his arm.

“Don’t be gross. She’s my best friend and also SIXTEEN just like me you perv,” Zach just laughed and put his arm around his younger sister as they walked into the house.

“I’m just kidding, now come on I’m starving and I miss mom’s cooking.”

With that Cadence placed her brother’s bag in the living room and trailed behind him as they walked into the kitchen where Kayla was helping her mom set up the table.

“So how’s college Zach?” her mother asked as Zach smiled at her.

“It’s nice, the classes are great and so are the teachers” his mother smiled nodding.

“Any cute girls?” Kayla asked as Cadence smacked her arm.

“Kayla! I don’t want to hear about my brother’s love life” she said laughing as Zach laughed.

“Well, not to brag but yes there are” Zach said smirking as he winked at the two girls causing his dad to laugh shaking his head.

“So Kayla you still with mop-head” Zach asked smiling as Kayla glared.

“You are the only one who still calls him that and yes I am still with EVAN” she emphasized as Zach laughed.

**

“It was good seeing you Zach!” Kayla yelled as she waved and got into her mother’s car.

Zach turned to face Cadence his smile disappearing “My room now” he said dragging Cadence upstairs by the hand.

Zach locked the door as Cadence sat on his bed “Okay now you want to tell me why you kept acting weird every time I brought up Jensen?” Cadence sighed.

“We broke up” she said as he just stared at her.

“Wait what? How? Why? I mean you two have been best friends ever since Alex shoved him in the dirt and you told her to stop being mean, what happened?” Zach asked with a sad expression on his face.

Cadence explained everything from her hearing Jensen and Ashley’s conversation to Alex beating up Ashley to her finding out he cheated for two months, only problem with her explanation is she left out what occurred every time she went home.

Zach sat there with his jaw clenched, “He’s dead.”

He stood up and started down the stairs and out the door as Cadence followed close behind trying to get him to stop.