Chapter 15

At the end of the fourth week, to celebrate my progress, we made a special trip to the salon to have our hair and nails done again, then dressed up in little black dresses, black hose, and heels (I chose a fire engine red pair) and Aunt Jill took us to really expensive Italian restaurant downtown on the river.

I asked my aunt about our diet cause I know Italian foods are high in carbs and totally not approved. She said it was a celebration and besides, the goal for me was one pound per week and I had already lost 6.8 lbs in three weeks.

I thought she said there would be no cheating. I knew she said that but I wasn't about to remind her.

After dinner we got us delicious low-carb keto ice cream from a street cart and took a stroll down the beautifully lit riverwalk.

There were a lot of couples and families out walking as well and our conversation quickly turned to our futures and kids.

Kelli went on and on about how many kids she wanted to give birth to, what she would name them, and what kind of man she wanted their dad to be. All, she pointed out, after she got a college degree and spent several years in a career first. She said she wanted all that but not before she was at least 29.

I kept quiet because I was deep in thought. I was busy imagining myself on each side of the situation and trying to decide which parent I'd rather be if I was raising kids of my own.

I didn't come to any conclusion at that point but I did learn something about myself. I discovered that if I ever had kids I would be okay with having a boy or not but I definitely wanted to raise a girl.

At one point Kelli interrupted my thoughts, "Destiny, you okay? You've been awfully quiet. What you thinking?"

I answered with, "I'm fine," then quickly changed the subject."These heels are starting to make my calves ache and I haven't been wearing them nearly as long as the wedges at the mall. How do girls do this?"

"Well, Destiny, those heels are higher than the wedges and spiked too, so of course they are harder on your legs, that's why girls only wear shoes like that, for special occasions."

Aunt Jill suggested we take a break on the park bench ahead of us.

When we sat down, Kelli told me I should take my heels off. She showed me how to carry them by the heel straps.

"And just walk bare-footed," I asked." Won't that ruin my hose?"

"Yeah probably," Kelli answered. "Girls do it all the time though. With practice you'll find yourself able to wear them longer and longer, but for now you need to give your feet and legs a rest from the heels."

"But these hose look expensive with the seam up the back and the lacy black swirls up the side of one leg. I don't want to ruin them."

"Sweetie, you don't worry about that," Aunt Jill chimed in. "With the amount of money your dad gave me to buy whatever you would need this summer, there's enough to replace those if they get ruined, and buy you several more."

That was all I needed to hear, my legs really were aching. I crossed one leg over the other and quickly unstraped the shoe.

As I slipped out of the heel, Aunt Jill and Kelli watched me curiously. "You know, Destiny," Aunt Jill offered, "Sometimes you gotta wear these heels and walk around in them even if they hurt. Its a part of being a lady." She smiled warmly, her eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Mom, you see that, " Kelli quietly asked just as I switched my legs and began to remove the other.

"See what?"

An Accident, A Decision, and Destiny (Revised)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें