N I N E: I'd rather not kiss my sister

Ms. Rodriguez had some long lasting flu, and dance classes were much more enjoyable now she was temporarily replaced by some dude named Ryan. The guy was awesome, he hadn't even snapped at us once, and he gave useful tips. I don't know how Rodriguez still works here.

Now, for example, we were in the middle of our modern dance class, and Ryan was giving us a speech about attitude, and who still has to work on it and who doesn't. "Attitude is that little thing that makes a big difference. Even lifting your chin a little bit higher can be extremely important in the end. Whether you're dancing here in front of me, or on stage in front of judges or an audience, your attitude shouldn't change, because if I were to judge two girls who did exactly the same performance, only one of them was insecure, and the other one looked confident, I would let the confident one win. So don't forget, your attitude can give a judge that little push that makes a big difference in the end."

He's been telling us things like that since he started teaching us, which was Saturday afternoon.

"Why on earth doesn't this guy always teach us?" I asked some random boy that happened to stand next to me.

"He's her son", the guy answered awkwardly.

"What? No! He's Ms Rodriguez' son? But, he's nice..."

The boy grimaced, "Well, he's still her son."

"I bet his father was cool then, because he doesn't have his coolness from his mother", I continued talking to him, because he didn't seem to feel comfortable with that. Ha, I'm so nice.

"Whatever"

I snickered, Oh how I love making people awkward.

"Hey Rania, did you know Ryan is Ms Rodriguez' son?" I asked after walking towards Rania.

"Yeah, he said that when he introduced himself Saturday", she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, didn't hear it."

"Maybe you should start paying attention more often", she mused.

"Nah, what did you end up doing for Halloween?"

She smiled, "I handed out candy with pictures of my favourite bands on them, to teach those kids what real music is."

"Cool, sounds like something you'd do."

"Yeah, I hope it worked though, the only things kids listen to these days is One Direction."

"Hey", I protested, "I listen to them too, they're awesome."

"Whatever", Rania rolled her eyes, "How was your Halloween?"

I smiled, "It was awesome, I don't remember a fuck from that night, but people keep giving me those weird stares, so I bet I did something stupid."

"I can imagine you doing something stupid", she grinned.

"You're weird", I fired back.

"Wow, great comeback there Brooke, very creative."

"Oh fuck you, stop copying my behaviour", I rolled my eyes.

She tapped her chin with her index finger, "Hmm, no, your sarcasm is rubbing off on me."

***

"What are you doing?" Jason greeted me when he entered our room. I was sitting on my bed cross legged biting on a pen out of concentration.

"Homework", I answered him without looking up from the algebra book.

"Why? It's Wednesday afternoon, you shouldn't be doing homework", he leaned over to see what subject it was for and sighed, "Especially not algebra."