Chapter 6 : The Day That Wasn't

(js that the black line meSSES UP THE PICTURE AH! i swear i'm not crazy :) but u'll see what I'm talking about soon)
wc: 2246
cc: 10316
(1995) Jessica's POV

The handler is walking us inside. "I must admit, Number Five and Number Eight, in all the time that I've been here, I've never met anyone quite like you two. Hazel and Cha-Cha, but... for one, they can't see the big picture. For two," she chuckles sarcastically, giving me a pointed over her shoulder. "Cha-Cha's dead. Congrats on that, by the way, Number Eight."

Five looks at me and I look down. He grabs my hand and rubs his thumb over my hand.

"Your spunk, your enterprising spirit, well, it reminds me a great deal of myself, if... I may be so vain glorious." I zone out once she starts excluding me.

"Any queries so far?" She asks. Five elbows me in the side, so I let go, assuming he wants me to let go.

"Yeah. Who was the case manager handling us?" He grabs my hand from my side. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Ah," she rubs his face. I clench both my fists. Five inhales sharply. "You mean the apocalypse." As she drops her hand, I realize what I was doing. I loosen my hands.

"Sorry," I whisper.

"Five, Number Eight, meet Dot. Dot is responsible for all apocalypse matters. In fact, it was Dot here who first flagged your appearances in 2019."

Dot waves at us. "No hard feelings." She says.

"Well, you two certainly put us through the ringer. Outsmarting two of our so-called best temporal assassins. If that doesn't spell leadership material!.." The Handler trails of a little bit. "I just don't know. I suspect... you like a challenge, H." She sighs.

"H?" I ask.

"Your team name. Also your file name from back then, well further into time, when we recruited you. Dot came up with it." I cock my head, then the realization that 'H' is the beginning of both of our names hits me. I let out a quiet 'oh'. She looks through something as I look around the room, not missing the commission.

She pulls out a folder. "Which is why I've give you a particularly complex first case." She hands us the folder, Five grabbing it with his open hand. He opens it, scanning through the papers.

"It's too bad Joseph Späh decided against sabotaging the fuel tank, it would've been so much easier. Anywho... if you have any questions, I'll be right behind you." She walks away. We sit down in the two rolly chairs under the desk, him letting go of my hand in the process.

"Kill Karl Weber." I suggest quietly. He plays it out in his mind, a small smirk forming on his face.

"Good job, partner." He pats me on the back. I chuckle, standing up and going into the bathroom.

I run into the bathroom, breathing heavily, leaning on the door with my elbows. I've gotten so many, "hey, number eight"'s that these people have said it more than all the times Dad has said combined.

"Hey, Jessica." I sigh, recognizing the voice.

"CJ." I exhale, smiling.

"How are you?" She asks, drying her hands.

"Alright, besides everyone calling me by my number." I laugh.